Weird wormy things in millipede substrate

SFA

Arachnoknight
I recently noticed these tiny little transparent worms (see picture) in both my millipede enclosures. I noticed them at the same time as some tiny white what I thought were mites, but they jump and after some research I think they might be springtails.

Edit: I am asking about the worms, I do not believe the worms are springtails.

Should I be concerned? I can easily change out all the substrate in my a. gigas enclosure, but some of my ivories and scarlets are buried and possibly molting. IMG_7598_1.jpg

Last edited:

Jp1776

Arachnopeon
I don't know what they are but they don't look like springtails.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't have a clue what they but they're definitely not springtails.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
They might be nematodes, or enchytraeid worms. How big are they? From the photo, I gather that they are more than a couple of millimeters long. Nematodes tend to remain very, very small. Though some are parasitic, many are free-living and not dangerous to millipedes. Enchytraeid worms can get considerably larger. I have seen some that reach 1" long, though many do not get near that large. They pose little threat to your millipedes. Both types of worms can reproduce very quickly, which may be an aesthetic concern, and they may feed on food (soft fruits and vegetables, fish food pellets, etc.) intended for your pedes. These worms are ubiquitous in leaf litter, and may have been introduced into your Millipede enclosure along with some substrate that had not been heat-sanitized.

Incidentally, both types of worm are commonly cultured in the aquarium hobby for use as fish food, which is why I am familiar with them.

SFA

Arachnoknight
They might be nematodes, or enchytraeid worms. How big are they? From the photo, I gather that they are more than a couple of millimeters long. Nematodes tend to remain very, very small. Though some are parasitic, many are free-living and not dangerous to millipedes. Enchytraeid worms can get considerably larger. I have seen some that reach 1" long, though many do not get near that large. They pose little threat to your millipedes. Both types of worms can reproduce very quickly, which may be an aesthetic concern, and they may feed on food (soft fruits and vegetables, fish food pellets, etc.) intended for your pedes. These worms are ubiquitous in leaf litter, and may have been introduced into your Millipede enclosure along with some substrate that had not been heat-sanitized.

Incidentally, both types of worm are commonly cultured in the aquarium hobby for use as fish food, which is why I am familiar with them.
Thank you! They are pretty tiny, definitely not near an inch.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Thank you! They are pretty tiny, definitely not near an inch.
If you see them growing appreciably in the next week or so, they're probably enchytraeids, even if they only get to 0.5 cm or so. If they stay tiny, probably nematodes. :)