Weird looking Isopod...

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah. Pretty much anything is natural except you gotta rely on mere luck and chance and a few thousand other things to find morphs that are normally bred in captivity :p
Theoretically but when dealing with double and triple recessive traits I'd say more like a few billion things would need to happen for that to occur in the wild.

Stugy

Arachnolord
You are right, I don't mind the natural variations and they can be quite interesting. I didn't think everyone would take it so seriously. I certainly didn't think anyone would accuse me of being a NAZI
True I do wonder why people take morphs so seriously. I just like them and I do this hobby purely for fun. Concerning the comment in which you were accused of being a Nazi, I sort of agreed but the accusation was not so good as your comment if you really look into it would be loosely seen as Nazi idealism. But whatever everyone's got their own opinions so I don't really care. We all know about the negative things the Nazis did so accusing someone's comment of Nazi idealism should be backed up.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Makes you someone who has a decent taste in cars, dogs and likes museums.

It's called being open minded?

Actually I'm not sure the preference of Bob Ross over Pablo Picasso would classify me as someone with good taste in most peoples minds.

Stugy

Arachnolord
OFF TOPIC: HEEEEY I'm an Arachnosquire now! :p I will never understand what the "peon" part meant.... Maybe like Utopian or something?

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Actually I'm not sure the preference of Bob Ross over Pablo Picasso would classify me as someone with good taste in most peoples minds.
I couldn't pick out a picaso in a pile of kids scribbles and I have no idea who Bob Ross is. I fail at life...I'm basic.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
True I do wonder why people take morphs so seriously. I just like them and I do this hobby purely for fun. Concerning the comment in which you were accused of being a Nazi, I sort of agreed but the accusation was not so good as your comment if you really look into it would be loosely seen as Nazi idealism. But whatever everyone's got their own opinions so I don't really care. We all know about the negative things the Nazis did so accusing someone's comment of Nazi idealism should be backed up.
I do understand why people like morphs and I can see what it is that makes them appealing to others. It just doesn't appeal to me. Its like a joke you don't think is funny, people say "you just didn't get it" No, I got it, I know what was supposed to be funny and I know why I was supposed to laugh but I just didn't think it was funny (the movie spaceballs comes to mind, not funny at all) I was expecting those types of comments and I was prepared for friendly give and take with anyone who wished to pursue it (like this) What I wasn't expecting was for someone to equate my dislike of reptile morphs to racial bigotry and Nazi ideology mainly because I simply couldn't fathom making such a leap.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I do understand why people like morphs and I can see what it is that makes them appealing to others. It just doesn't appeal to me. Its like a joke you don't think is funny, people say "you just didn't get it" No, I got it, I know what was supposed to be funny and I know why I was supposed to laugh but I just didn't think it was funny (the movie spaceballs comes to mind, not funny at all) I was expecting those types of comments and I was prepared for friendly give and take with anyone who wished to pursue it (like this) What I wasn't expecting was for someone to equate my dislike of reptile morphs to racial bigotry and Nazi ideology mainly because I simply couldn't fathom making such a leap.
Yup. Like I said, everyone's got their own opinion and I respect that (except the one about Spaceballs but I will not say anything else about the topic).

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
I didn't call anyone a NAZI by the way SIRRRR, mybad if you adopted it so quickly as a title, I was just using the concept of NAZI IDEALISM and its hatred towards that which is different and/or misunderstoodzzz as comparison to your opinion/hate towards the selective breeding used within our Hobbies to creat amazing and interesting color and pattern variations for those who love the diversity that nature has to offer. Have a glass of Jonny walker and relax.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I couldn't pick out a picaso in a pile of kids scribbles and I have no idea who Bob Ross is. I fail at life...I'm basic.
I used to think that many of the "Masters" were highly over rated. I used to think anybody could do that. I have come to realize that no, most people can't do what they do. Very few people can paint like Van Gogh did that doesn't mean I have to like his paintings.

Bob Ross is the guy with the Brillo pad hairdo who painted nature scenes, mainly mountain scenes, in like 10 or 15 minutes. There are lots of guys like him, he is just the most famous. I think a lot of connoisseurs of art would scoff at his techniques and results. I happen to like them.

here is an example of his work http://d3rde5ck80dcsn.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/bob-ross-painting-02.jpg

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I didn't call anyone a NAZI by the way SIRRRR, mybad if you adopted it so quickly as a title, I was just using the concept of NAZI IDEALISM and its hatred towards that which is different and/or misunderstoodzzz as comparison to your opinion/hate towards the selective breeding used within our Hobbies to creat amazing and interesting color and pattern variations for those who love the diversity that nature has to offer. Have a glass of Jonny walker and relax.
There is a HUGE difference between not liking something because it simply doesn't appeal to you and not liking something because you think it has some inherent inferior quality based on things like race or religion or whatever. Nowhere did I say it was wrong to create morphs or that anyone else was wrong to enjoy them. I simply said I didn't like them and you said it was like Nazi idealism. I'm sorry but I still don't see any similarities. Idealism perhaps because yes, in my ideal world there would be no morphs (because I don't like them) but Nazi idealism? I just don't see the connection.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
There you go again.
in my ideal world there would be no morphs (because I don't like them)

I just don't see the connection.
No connection? Lol , Hitler (The Nazis) didn't like the Jew or any other Person that was not blonde haired and blue eyed and of specific religious beliefs, In Hitlers ideal world there would be no People morphs... :peeking: I'm sorry my light approach on genocidal history combined with a dab of dark humor put you in defense mode. Peace and love dude. Peace. And. Love.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not defensive, just astounded that you could equate the two. Someone who doesn't like the color or pattern of a snake has the same ideology as a mad man who ordered the killing of thousands of people because he felt they were inherently inferior. Peace and love to you as well my friend and enjoy your morphs. I'm not doing anything to take them away from you.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You are right, I don't mind the natural variations and they can be quite interesting. I didn't think everyone would take it so seriously. I certainly didn't think anyone would accuse me of being a NAZI
*cues the Seinfield theme*

Stugy

Arachnolord
Not defensive, just astounded that you could equate the two. Someone who doesn't like the color or pattern of a snake has the same ideology as a mad man who ordered the killing of thousands of people because he felt they were inherently inferior. Peace and love to you as well my friend and enjoy your morphs. I'm not doing anything to take them away from you.
Nah he just held a huge grudge against them. :p

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I respected your opinion until you said Spaceballs wasn't funny.:p Seriously though, I think the reptile hobby in particular has become a little too morph focused. I like morphs, but the local reptile shows used to be a lot more interesting ten years ago when it wasn't 50% ball pythons.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
I respected your opinion until you said Spaceballs wasn't funny.:p Seriously though, I think the reptile hobby in particular has become a little too morph focused. I like morphs, but the local reptile shows used to be a lot more interesting ten years ago when it wasn't 50% ball pythons.
Yeah. At my reptile show its 50% ball pythons, 40% leopard geckos, 10% everything else.

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I knew the Spaceballs thing would get a few people:D Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are two of my favorite movies so its not like I "just don't get" Mel Brooks.

Yeah. At my reptile show its 50% ball pythons, 40% leopard geckos, 10% everything else.
I'd say Crested geckos and boas are cutting into the balls and Leos a bit but the 10% everything else seems right.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
The different isopod morphs are really cool and are only adding more variety to the hobby, what's to hate? It's just natural color variation man, I've caught bright orange P.scaber in the wild a few hours away from me. So for the isopods, it really is just natural, "wild" coloration. :)
Hisserdude - How can you tell if a color is a morph and not just a phase of growth? I picked up several orange isopods and they are beautiful. How long do they live? Do they need to hibernate? I'm going to pick up some ultraviolets, too. They fascinate me. You know some of the most beautiful tulips started as a response to a virus.

I have some big black ones around here. And pink ones... I'm having isopod confetti for Christmas!