Weird Behavior

greg larkins

Arachnopeon
hi, i am new to the pet tarantula world, and i got a G. Rosea a couple of months ago. well, she has burrowed and partially enclosed herself inside of her log shelter that i got for her. it's been in there since i got her and she's never done anything like this before. i am worried it might be something really bad. i thought this species was terrestrial, not a burrower. can anybody help me out with this?

Derek W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She could be doing one of three things:

1. Doing that for no reason at all.
2. Preparing for a molt.
3. Preparing to drop an eggsac (this is only if she was wildcaught, and is indeed a she, and also happens to be pregnant)

Even though G. rosea's are not "burrowers" they can still dig around and such.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
hi, i am new to the pet tarantula world, and i got a G. Rosea a couple of months ago. well, she has burrowed and partially enclosed herself inside of her log shelter that i got for her. it's been in there since i got her and she's never done anything like this before. i am worried it might be something really bad. i thought this species was terrestrial, not a burrower. can anybody help me out with this?
sounds kinda normal for a rosea to do something "not normal" :D :D
but i agree with what he says too...

greg larkins

Arachnopeon
it was a wild caught t, but i really don't know how to tell if it's a M or F i thought that just because of the size that it's a "she" it's 5.5 inches long though. it really scared me because i just got back from vacation this evening, and i was like WTF? when i saw what had happened.

greg larkins

Arachnopeon
i shined a light into the "dungeon" and it moved a little bit in response. it doesn't look to be dying and not moulting, at least not yet. i'll post a picture of what it did and see if it helps.

JaredT11

Arachnopeon
My rosea enclosed her/himself in its hide for a few weeks. There was a wall of web at the front and it pusshed a bunch of dirt up to make more of a wall, and webbed over that too. Then one morning there was a hole outside the hide, and she/he was still in there. They kinda just do whatever they feel like.

Last edited:

greg larkins

Arachnopeon
My rosea enclosed her/himself in its hide for a few weeks. There was a wall of web at the front and it pusshed a bunch of dirt up to make more of a wall, and webbed over that too. Then one morning there was a hole outside the hide, and she/he was still in there. They kinda just do whatever they feel like.
yea, that's how he/she did it. did yours ever stop burrowing? or will it live like this from now on? not that i really care what it does, just as long as he/she's ok.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine did the same thing. Her burrow extends all the way to the back and bottom of the tank. She webbed it up and laid an egg sac of course :rolleyes: .

She ate it soon afterward, but she still lives happily in the burrow. She's out every night, and comes out during the day to see what's going on if I'm moving around the cabinet. Roseas are obligate burrowers, which means they will burrow if and when they feel like it. Yours felt like it. You have no reason to worry. Be happy that she's doing something interesting. So many G. roseas just sit for days on end. :)

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My rosea hasn't burrowed, she just sits inside her hide or just outside it's entrance. She hasn't even done any webbing like in the pics. They do differ alot and do all sorts of wierd and wonderfull things. Enjoy your T.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
She could be doing one of three things:

1. Doing that for no reason at all.
2. Preparing for a molt.
3. Preparing to drop an eggsac (this is only if she was wildcaught, and is indeed a she, and also happens to be pregnant)

Even though G. rosea's are not "burrowers" they can still dig around and such.
UMMM G. rosea ARE burrowers . In thier natural habitat anyway. In captivity the GENERALY will just sit there. or use a hide. But ...

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like normal behavior for a rosie. They like to renovate their hides every once in a while. Just keep its water dish full and offer it a cricket every once in a while, remove it if it doesn't get eaten.

greg larkins

Arachnopeon
thanks for the help everybody, i put 2 crickets in just a minute ago, i'll check to see if they're gone later.

greg larkins

Arachnopeon
Update

well, she has moved around a little bit within the "batcave" lol,... but the food has yet to be eaten, which i think is unfortunate because i love to see her "on the hunt" (if you will). will post any updates tomorrow.