week in Arizona

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Close to 20 species, however that number is actually less as some of the species are described from the male caste only. If they are ever associated with the proper workers, they will most certainly turn out to belong to an already described species.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Close to 20 species, however that number is actually less as some of the species are described from the male caste only. If they are ever associated with the proper workers, they will most certainly turn out to belong to an already described species.
heh... sounds like many of our native tarantulas.

MaartenSFS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as myrmecophile said, they were most likely Polyergus and it is uncommon to see them actually raiding another species nest and extremely fascinating to boot! ive only seen this happen once and it floored me! ive found many many colonies, but only an actual raid once. they have cicle shaped mandibles used to pierce the other ant colony to death (usually in the head) and they steal all the other species pupae, larvae and eggs. they raise them as their own and...... you get a half red, half black and colony.... or in your case... half red, half red and black and colony. its a trip to see. you should have taken pics of the battle.
That is.. AWESOME. Ants are just multiplying and evolving right beneath our feet. There will come a day when...

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
great pics, Things have been slow here in NM as well but we have started getting some monsoon rains and things should be picking up. I'm doing a LNT trainers course in the Ignacio Chavez Wilderness Study Area and hope to see/collect a few thing the 11-12th.

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Really nice pics! I'm really jealous that you have such cool inverts! We don't have that much of that kind in Sweden... Too cold winters.