Webbing observation

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My Ts only web stuff up while having something in their jaws. Any theory behind this? I've never seen them spin without having some sort of food in their "mouths." My seemanni is currently webbing her burrow up some more and happens to have a crick in her icy death grip of DOOM. :D

N.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My A. seemanni places a very light almost transparent web over the entrance to its shelter withour having food in its pedipalps. The only time it webs the ground is with food in its mouth.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know honestly but watching I figure it's an instinct.
Catch prey.
Automaticly repair any damages to " web carpet".
Put down webbing to help hold prey just in case it's feisty or More prey is near and they want to stockpile while the getting is good.
Or maybe it;s just a happy happy joy joy dance.
It is neat and rather cute no matter what.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by pategirl
Maybe they like decorating for the dinner guests. :D
Great reply. Thank you for making me smile. At 5:30 a.m., such a thing is rarely possible.

Originally posted by Nixy
Or maybe it;s just a happy happy joy joy dance.
LoL! It is kinda cute. Like a spider victory dance? I can almost hear her laugh triumphantly :D

N.

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
T's dancing~:0)

....... just a happy happy joy joy dance.......~:0)

Our rosie is dancing right now. No webbing, just turning
circles, kind of like the cricket dance, with all the bouncing,
just no cricket!

It's pretty funny to watch
=D

Rookie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Ts only web stuff up while having something in their jaws. Any theory behind this? I've never seen them spin without having some sort of food in their "mouths."
Peso is the same way. When he/she was smaller (1"-1.5") he wouldn't, but when he reached a certain stage, he'd always web up the ground when he had prey in his 'jaws'. He still does it. Generally he grabs the cricket before it moves on the web carpet at all, but sometimes they hit a thick spot and get really stuck. That's pretty cool to see. Poor cricket bastards ;P