Wearing gloves?

rooster

Arachnopeon
Im not in a huge hurry to pick up my t's, but in one picture posted here the person is wearing gloves. The gloves look like they may be the type butchers wear when cutting meat. Can that type of glove, or can any glove really prevet a good size t from being able to bite you?

mcy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if you have some thick leather gloves they shouldn't be able to penetrate unless its a really big spider...at that point nothing less than chain mail:D

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its usually not a good idea to hold a spider thats going to bite in the first place, and i've heard some gloves can damage the T's fangs.
i've never had any expierence with gloves though, what type of T's are you planning on picking up?

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wouldn't think so. Of course, an armored glove could also cause a Tarantula to break a fang. Gloves can be useful when doing enclosure maintenance, especially if you are sensitive to urticating hairs, but your best bet would be not to handle at all.

hcsk8ter

Arachnopeon
Gloves won't necessarily stop a Tarantula from biting you and if you wear gloves are you technically even handling it?

Not trying to burst your bubble but they move in quick bursts and won't necessarily ONLY bite you on the hand, although it's more than likely. Good rule of thumb is if you dont trust your instincts or don't know your Tarantula well, don't pick them up until you get acclamated. Good Luck.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
unless you have a moody G. rosea or A. versicolor you shouldn't need to wear gloves when holding them. as for the H. lividum, you should probably just let that one be, a T like that doesn't want to be held and thats why it tries to bite. I never held mine and when i needed to move it i used a cup

hcsk8ter

Arachnopeon
unless you have a moody G. rosea or A. versicolor you shouldn't need to wear gloves when holding them. as for the H. lividum, you should probably just let that one be, a T like that doesn't want to be held and thats why it tries to bite. I never held mine and when i needed to move it i used a cup
No T "wants" to be held. I think what he's trying to say is some T's are more "tolerant" when it comes to handling. Just trying to clarify.

rooster

Arachnopeon
I wasnt planning on holding any of them, I was just curious. Its just sometimes butchering cattle I wear a similar glove as them in the picture, and the weave in my gloves it tight, so if you run a blade across the gloves you wont get cut, but I wouldnt think the weave was tight enough to stop a needle type fang.

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Gloves won't necessarily stop a Tarantula from biting you and if you wear gloves are you technically even handling it?
Exactly. Who's to say it won't just run up your arm and bite you on the neck. Thus turning you into a Vamspider. Doomed to eternally living amongst the living while eating rats.

Personally I don't handle any of mine unless it's absolutely necessary. As stated above while doing enclosure maintenance.

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I wasnt planning on holding any of them, I was just curious. Its just sometimes butchering cattle I wear a similar glove as them in the picture, and the weave in my gloves it tight, so if you run a blade across the gloves you wont get cut, but I wouldnt think the weave was tight enough to stop a needle type fang.
It probably wouldn't. I think some law enforcement agencies provide gloves that are supposed to protect against accidentally getting stuck by a used needle when doing searches, but I for one wouldn't trust it, for all of the reasons already given.

golda

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
gloves for me can be a nuisance... you cant handle things too well with a glove on. try to handle the docile ones so that you wont be needing the gloves anymore. :D

ember

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In the photo, I imagine that the person was wearing the gloves to protect from flug hairs, and happen to be handling the spider as well... Not that they were wearing the gloves to prevent a spider bite. Does that make sense?

I use a net to safely move fish. Likewise, I have tools that help me move my spiders. I have handled my rosea, but it was out of necessity, not desire (she moved in a way I had not anticipated while I was doing post-ant-issue tank maintenance, and I chose to risk a bite than risk her falling). If a fish was falling, I would use my hands to keep it safe, but otherwise I would not handle a fish with my hands because I would not want to damage it. I have the same approach with my spiders (and scorps, some frogs, etc).

I have seen otherwise placid and static tarantulas suddenly move at the speed of light, and it makes me wonder why anyone would chose to potentially risk damage to their spider by handling other than in a necessary situation... and I can only imagine that wearing gloves would make the movement, reflex, and control more difficult on the human part of the equation.