we now have a problem houston

Haploman

ArachnoEarthTiger
Old Timer
Im more of a tarantulaman than a true spiderman, 2 months ago I bought a Australian redback widow next to her was an infertile eggsac. Now Last night I noticed an eggsac, upon examination I noticed its fertile eggsac. Now heres my dilemma need info on rearing up these and please some give me the damn scientific name for this species ( its a true australian redback widow) :D

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Australian redback widow

Scientific name: Latrodectus hasselti

Once the young hatch, stretch some sort of cloth over the enclosure so they can not escape. Now I know thise sounds somewhat cruel, but let the spiderling eat each other until there are fewer stronger specimens alive, this is what happens in the wild. After this the babys should be large enough a few days later to easily prey on fruit flies and tiny crickets.

Alex S.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Actually stretch the cloth over before they hatch...once they hatch they move upward and outward...I had this happen with one of my widow eggsacs...only a 'few' got out...as far as I know. I try to place the egg sac in a medicine vial with only pinholes If I want it to hatch. If the sac is already about two weeks old it could be close depending on the temps you keep and the humidity...I have noticed with my widows that I can induce the egg sac to hatch after about 3 weeks(depending on temp) if I put about one shot of mist on a side of the medicine bottle. Within 24 hours the sac almost always hatches. My widow is up to 17 egg sacs about 2x normal...she is a well fed egg laying machine.

John

Last edited:

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
John,
Nice pic! Are those ever teensy ones!

Peace,
Gillian

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sorry, yes, before, as they do spread rapidly after hatching. Nice pic John.

Alex S.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Thanks, Gillian, Alex.

They are tiny...only a little more than one millimeter in diameter across the body. I found a slightly better pic...the egg sac is about 1/2 inch in diameter. The medicine vial is 2" in diameter by 2 3/4 tall.

You could probably put a crushed cricket in with them to increase the numbers that make it to adulthood, though I have not tried it yet...maybe I will with my current brood.

John
];')

Attachments

Last edited: