We made the big time!!! - WIRED article

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Unfortunately truth and facts don't always fit their narrative and they go with whatever fits their agenda to push their story.IMO Richard saw a chance to promote himself and his videos as the go to source for information concerning this hobby and ran with it.
Doesn't he still use humidity values?

MarkJ

Arachnosquire
Congratulations on the mention in that article!

That said, anyone out there that is raising awareness to the wild caught spider issues is a positive. I don't really care who they are, if they self promote or even if they are not well liked. As long as what they are actually saying and doing benefits the spiders it is a win.

That said, there is no single perfect source for spider care and acquisition. Banding together with everyone and anyone that can positively enhance the care and well being of spiders should be the goal with the Lacey Act looming.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hmmm interesting, I cannot find where I said that.
Sorry I should have clarified better (I just woke up at the time).

It was an inquiry. The reason I asked is because you said it is "rightfully" under scrutiny. But the real threat to the survival of the species is the destruction of their natural habitat. I know there is debate between some who claim no captive breeding should happen and others who say captive breeding is the only chance for the survival of some species on earth.

The thing is, by being under scrutiny, they're going to try everything they can to ban it (unjustly) and thus our entire hobby will be gone. Yours, mine, and everyone else's spiders will be nothing more than faded memories.

And all the while this is going on cats, dogs, and livestock are responsible for destroying more of this earth and its habitats than any other species (except humans of course) and yet no one is crying to ban them.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Not in a good way, I’m glad I don’t keep anything anymore knowing that this site is being watched and the people running it are on board with it. I wonder where all this data they’ve compiled is going to go…

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Sorry I should have clarified better (I just woke up at the time).

It was an inquiry. The reason I asked is because you said it is "rightfully" under scrutiny. But the real threat to the survival of the species is the destruction of their natural habitat. I know there is debate between some who claim no captive breeding should happen and others who say captive breeding is the only chance for the survival of some species on earth.

The thing is, by being under scrutiny, they're going to try everything they can to ban it (unjustly) and thus our entire hobby will be gone. Yours, mine, and everyone else's spiders will be nothing more than faded memories.

And all the while this is going on cats, dogs, and livestock are responsible for destroying more of this earth and its habitats than any other species (except humans of course) and yet no one is crying to ban them.
I understand all that, and have heard it many times. However being under scrutiny doesn't have to mean bans. Im saying the hobby is rightfully under scrutiny, Im not saying its rightfully being banned (couldnt find a better way to say it, hopefully you get what I mean). Nor am I saying the hobby is the main reason for possibly declining wild numbers.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Am i the only one who read that 600,000 Grammostola have been imported into the USA? You guys that obsessed with boring tarantulas that the demand for them requires that many to be imported? To each there own but i didn't think such a lame genus could be so popular. At least they included a picture of what appears to be a P.ornata on the article header and not a Grammostola.

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Am i the only one who read that 600,000 Grammostola have been imported into the USA? You guys that obsessed with boring tarantulas that the demand for them requires that many to be imported? To each there own but i didn't think such a lame genus could be so popular. At least they included a picture of what appears to be a P.ornata on the article header and not a Grammostola.
Cool opinion.

KillBoxSpider

Arachnopeon
Makes sense now why he’s taking trash. One of his latest videos is about how to do research. To no surprise.. in his video he claims great places to get care info is from “himself” with a link to his site, and some of his other buddies. As well as telling people it’s great to watch YouTube videos for help. He’s a used car salesman trying to make a buck. I wouldn’t be half surprised if he came here at some point, asked a stupid question without doing the bare minimum of research, then got scolded. Probably butthurt about it.
him saying hes been keeping for 20 years sounds a bit off but whatever so u guys can all say u been keeping for 30 years now we make no further effort to verify anyones claims no more long as its in the paper it must be true oh and please buy my t shirts and hats on ur way out from reading this lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Poonjab

Arachnoking
him saying hes been keeping for 20 years sounds a bit off but whatever so u guys can all say u been keeping for 30 years now we make no further effort to verify anyones claims no more long as its in the paper it must be true oh and please buy my t shirts and hats on ur way out from reading this lol
What? That was very difficult to follow.

Last edited by a moderator: