We made the big time!!! - WIRED article

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Resulting in another 1 billion questions from people who will read, link here yet will never search the net for info- oy vey!

The study has been picked up by ABC News and other news outlets

Last edited:

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
It'll be interesting to see if we do get an influx of people/questions. I'd guess not really, but who knows.

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
Richard from Tarantula Collective posted snippets of this to his Instagram - didn't really bother reading it to be honest as it kind of irked me that they decided to interview a YouTuber as opposed to someone, ya know, reliable and actually in the field. All the care info he provides in his videos are just recycled care sheets. Hardly a decent source and obviously he'll be biased.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
they decided to interview a YouTuber as opposed to someone, ya know, reliable and actually in the field.
monkey see, monkey do- I’m not surprised at all.

What they should have done is reached out to @MrDeranged and @Arachnopets people who have been in the hobby, and done far more for the hobby than some stupidtuber!

And the article provided more info demonstrating my point of Poland being a player in tarantula smuggling. So all the naysayers who disagreed with me some years ago on this can suck an egg!

Last edited:

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
I have already been contacted by a researcher to interview me about one of my highly imported T's and read another article about this in the New York Times of all things. Spot light is on us right now. We will have to represent well or could possibly see more regulations.

Which I mean, I support regulation an penalizing the import of illegally harvested T's and collecting of endangered T's that maybe don't have legal protecting. In my life experience though politicians and regulatory commissions tend to pass laws that don't attack the real issues and have no real context or perspective on the things they are making decisions on.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Well this is great. Like we need this right now with this lacey act ban looming.

And I used to like richard but ever since he threw AB under the bus claiming its full of trolls he lost a lot of my respect.

Reminds me of that dan whatever guy who has a fish keeping channel and claimed we're all stupid for believing these bans are a threat and when I reached out to him directly his response was to post a video with a thumbnail of him laughing at me (and us) that are actually concerned.

So what is it with these stupid articles? Every couple of years some jerk decides they hate our hobby and wants to spotlight us to try and get it banned?

Last edited:

Benzen

Arachnopeon
" SPIDERS AND SCORPIONS may seem like creatures that need to be crushed rather than conserved..."

What a nice way to preface your article.

" He says that tarantulas face much greater risks from deforestation and governments that don’t do enough to protect their native habitats."

Spot on. Kudos to Richard.

Every couple of years some jerk decides they hate our hobby and wants to spotlight us to try and get it banned?
Probably someone who hates spiders and is scared of them.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And I used to like richard but ever since he threw AB under the bus claiming its full of trolls he lost a lot of my respect.
Yep, I noticed that too and I thought. "Really ?! I don't think you and I have visited the same forum." Sure, sometimes Viper's replies comes off as offensive, but when you're used to his approach, his replies are simply short and sweet... and to the point. To claim that we're trolls is quite the insult. Well, there's another channel I can totally cross off from viewing completely.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
Deforestations and governments not doing a thing about it

This article: The pet trade grrrr

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Yep, I noticed that too and I thought. "Really ?! I don't think you and I have visited the same forum." Sure, sometimes Viper's replies comes off as offensive, but when you're used to his approach, his replies are simply short and sweet... and to the point. To claim that we're trolls is quite the insult. Well, there's another channel I can totally cross off from viewing completely.
Makes sense now why he’s taking trash. One of his latest videos is about how to do research. To no surprise.. in his video he claims great places to get care info is from “himself” with a link to his site, and some of his other buddies. As well as telling people it’s great to watch YouTube videos for help. He’s a used car salesman trying to make a buck. I wouldn’t be half surprised if he came here at some point, asked a stupid question without doing the bare minimum of research, then got scolded. Probably butthurt about it.

HeartBum

Arachnobaron
in his video he claims great places to get care info is from “himself” with a link to his site, and some of his other buddies.
Really? Yikes. All bow down to the mighty Richard, who just started off by photographing his T's (which is pretty much all his videos are anyway) and now thinks he's qualified enough to be dishing out advice :rolleyes:

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Deforestations and governments not doing a thing about it

This article: The pet trade grrrr
That is not what the original research paper the Wired article is based on says at all. The research paper basically highlights that the trade in arachnids has been growing for the past 22 years while there has been no efforts by regulatory bodies to assess its impact to wild populations. It also points out that by using wildlife import/ export databases of international and domestic (from the perspective of the United States) government agencies, more arachnids are brought into trade from wild populations than from captive bred populations. The research paper elaborates on the complexities in assessing the risk to wild populations of arachnids due to circumvention of wildlife law, such as by sending arachnids through the mail, as well as the evolving taxonomy/ change of scientific names, and a lack of knowledge of a species full geographic distribution. It also shows that a few countries export wild collected arachnids that are known to be from other neighboring countries. The article refers to such activity as "laundering." Essentially, the conclusion that the research paper comes to is that as the arachnid trade grows in popularity, there is a risk to wild populations due to a lack of understanding of what exactly is being traded, how many are in trade, and a lack of involvement in wildlife regulatory bodies to understand the arachnid trade. Although habitat loss is an undeniable factor in diminishing wild populations of arachnids, the pet trade is a factor that should not be overlooked as a contributing factor since it is difficult to assess just how many are taken from the wild for trade. Further, the research paper also identifies other sources of trade causing a potential threat to wild arachnid populations such as the rising popularity of arachnids as novelty and traditional food items in Asia and western countries.

At the end of the day, the Wired article speaks specifically about the pet trade and it's potential impact to wild arachnid populations, but the research paper speaks more about the need for more research into the pet trade's impact to wild populations by international wildlife monitoring organizations.

Marcostaco

Arachnobaron
That is not what the original research paper the Wired article is based on says at all. The research paper basically highlights that the trade in arachnids has been growing for the past 22 years while there has been no efforts by regulatory bodies to assess its impact to wild populations. It also points out that by using wildlife import/ export databases of international and domestic (from the perspective of the United States) government agencies, more arachnids are brought into trade from wild populations than from captive bred populations. The research paper elaborates on the complexities in assessing the risk to wild populations of arachnids due to circumvention of wildlife law, such as by sending arachnids through the mail, as well as the evolving taxonomy/ change of scientific names, and a lack of knowledge of a species full geographic distribution. It also shows that a few countries export wild collected arachnids that are known to be from other neighboring countries. The article refers to such activity as "laundering." Essentially, the conclusion that the research paper comes to is that as the arachnid trade grows in popularity, there is a risk to wild populations due to a lack of understanding of what exactly is being traded, how many are in trade, and a lack of involvement in wildlife regulatory bodies to understand the arachnid trade. Although habitat loss is an undeniable factor in diminishing wild populations of arachnids, the pet trade is a factor that should not be overlooked as a contributing factor since it is difficult to assess just how many are taken from the wild for trade. Further, the research paper also identifies other sources of trade causing a potential threat to wild arachnid populations such as the rising popularity of arachnids as novelty and traditional food items in Asia and western countries.

At the end of the day, the Wired article speaks specifically about the pet trade and it's potential impact to wild arachnid populations, but the research paper speaks more about the need for more research into the pet trade's impact to wild populations by international wildlife monitoring organizations.
I absolutely agree that the pet trade should not be overlooked in terms of wild caught specimens but we seem to be much more targeted than habitat loss and deforestation which is presumably much more damaging to wild populations.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I absolutely agree that the pet trade should not be overlooked in terms of wild caught specimens but we seem to be much more targeted than habitat loss and deforestation which is presumably much more damaging to wild populations.
There are far more studies on the impact of habitat destruction and climate change on wildlife populations, including invertebrates, than there are about the impacts of the pet trade on wild invertebrate populations. The point of research articles such as the one covered here is to assess the potential impact the pet trade has on wild invertebrate populations and to call out how they are overlooked by wildlife regulatory bodies in favor of more charismatic animals such as the reptiles, birds, and/ or mammals. Out of the invertebrates traded for the exotic pet industry, arachnids, and specifically tarantulas, are the most popular which is why it may seem like the tarantula community is targeted. What the research paper the Wired article covers points out is that in a span of about 20 years, millions of arachnids, mostly tarantulas, have been removed from the wild for various commercial purposes, including the pet industry, but no one is paying attention to it.

It seems like tarantula, and other invert keepers, like to put their head in the sand (in a manner of speaking) when a group of researchers start looking into how the trade works and finding that it could be impacting wild populations. The most common response to calling out the exotic pet industry and its potential impact to wild populations is to compare it with deforestation or habitat loss. It is as if tarantula keepers choose to justify their continued participation in an industry that is largely unregulated and dependent on illegal wildlife trafficking by comparing to the much greater evil of habitat destruction. Habitat loss could very well be a bigger factor in dwindling wild populations of tarantulas than the pet trade, but one can not deny the exotic pet industry is a factor.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Well this is great. Like we need this right now with this lacey act ban looming.

Reminds me of that dan whatever guy who has a fish keeping channel and claimed we're all stupid for believing these bans are a threat and when I reached out to him directly his response was to post a video with a thumbnail of him laughing at me (and us) that are actually concerned.

So what is it with these stupid articles? Every couple of years some jerk decides they hate our hobby and wants to spotlight us to try and get it banned?
I mean the hobby is rightfully under scrutiny. Can't blame people for rethinking its legality, but you can blame them making misinformed decisions and voting to ban the hobby under false pretenses.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I've been on here two years and lurked a little before that. I've seen some comments that might be considered a little rude or whatever but for the most part, everyone is happy to help out new keepers and get excited for them when things go well. Trolling is just part of the internet and on this site it's kept pretty well contained in the watering hole where, even there, it's tame. When those of us who partake address serious questions on husbandry, we take it relatively seriously and try to give sound advice.

Not sure where he's even coming from.
Must be that sensitive ginger gene. :troll:

jc55

Arachnoknight
Richard from Tarantula Collective posted snippets of this to his Instagram - didn't really bother reading it to be honest as it kind of irked me that they decided to interview a YouTuber as opposed to someone, ya know, reliable and actually in the field. All the care info he provides in his videos are just recycled care sheets. Hardly a decent source and obviously he'll be biased.
Unfortunately truth and facts don't always fit their narrative and they go with whatever fits their agenda to push their story.IMO Richard saw a chance to promote himself and his videos as the go to source for information concerning this hobby and ran with it.