We adopted a PUP! Need your help :)

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am a loyal German Shepherd owner and would say that there is some In there however the ears are not up which could either mean a pit cross with GSD for the floppy ears?
Don't the ears of most puppies stay floppy like this until they reach a certain age?

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am a loyal German Shepherd owner and would say that there is some In there however the ears are not up which could either mean a pit cross with GSD for the floppy ears?
I'm not seeing German Shepherd at all-wrong head and muzzle shape, not to mention those ears, which aren't going to stand up. Most American Pit Bull Terriers have a semi-pricked or "rose" ear, not a completely floppy ear, and a GSD x APBT is going to show at least SOME lift to the ears by this age. My sister breeds German Shepherds, my father bred them throughout my childhood, so I'm familiar with how they develop and change from birth to old age. This pup has a lot of Molosser(Mastiff family) ancestry, not terrier or herding breed. I have seen countless GSD x "pit bull" crosses, because they are very popular with the segment of society that wants everyone to know how bad they are, unfortunately, and they tend to favor the APBT build, just bigger, and usually with mostly-erect ears, often with GSD markings.

pitbulllady

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
Hey I know the topic has gone in a slightly different direction, but I wanted to throw another possibility on breed out there: Plott hound. They often have brindle coloring as well, and they get pretty darn big.

In my experience hounds in general can be very strong-willed. Snark is very much right about establishing rules, boundaries, etc. early on. I learned this the hard way working with sighthounds.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Hey I know the topic has gone in a slightly different direction, but I wanted to throw another possibility on breed out there: Plott hound. They often have brindle coloring as well, and they get pretty darn big.

In my experience hounds in general can be very strong-willed. Snark is very much right about establishing rules, boundaries, etc. early on. I learned this the hard way working with sighthounds.
+1 i second the possiblity of the perrito (pup) being a plott, but, another possibility (just putting it out there)
could be one of those cur dogs. I would do a bit of digging just in case it is an entirely different breed.
You dont want a very high energy dog that can chew right through a door (one of the rotties i used to have did that once)

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well whatever he is, hes more than smart. Minds very well, but were still working on the potty training. He has gotten much better however. HE has gained quite a bit of weight. I'll get some new pictures up of him tonight.

Funny note - I believe the older female "Skye" definitely shows her dominancy as she tries humping him all the time...

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
+1 i second the possiblity of the perrito (pup) being a plott, but, another possibility (just putting it out there)
could be one of those cur dogs. I would do a bit of digging just in case it is an entirely different breed.
You dont want a very high energy dog that can chew right through a door (one of the rotties i used to have did that once)
Catahoulas ARE a Cur breed, actually, the largest of the Curs. While Plott Hound isn't out of the realm of possibilities, Plotts have HUGE ears, very long and wide, like most scent hounds, and those ears tend to be passed down for quite a few generations. My sister actually had a neighbor's Plott get off his chain and breed one of her Akitas, and she kept two of the pups, and they had ears like a Plott, even with an Akita mom that had tiny little cat-like erect ears. In fact, you really couldn't see any Akita in them at all, except for curled-up tails. Their ears were long enough to get in the way while they were eating, lol.

pitbulllady

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Well whatever he is, hes more than smart. Minds very well, but were still working on the potty training. He has gotten much better however. HE has gained quite a bit of weight. I'll get some new pictures up of him tonight.

Funny note - I believe the older female "Skye" definitely shows her dominancy as she tries humping him all the time...
cesar milan books should solve that issue.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
This thread desperately needs some snarking.

We adopted a PUP! Need your help :)

If you need MY help :eek: - you should never have adopted pup. In fact, you should give it some serious thought before buying a teddy bear. :sarcasm:

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What the heck are you talking about? The help was in regards to IDing the dog its self. Period. No reason to get offense towards a title. Thanks for "snarking"

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Use dbi, that is what i used to id my chihuahua mix. By the way Hook em' horns 1-5-15

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
What the heck are you talking about? The help was in regards to IDing the dog its self. Period. No reason to get offense towards a title. Thanks for "snarking"
I was referring to my personal expertise. Or more precisely, my complete and utter lack thereof. I can however, tell a dog from a cat on most days without any assistance.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Use dbi, that is what i used to id my chihuahua mix. By the way Hook em' horns 1-5-15
If you are referring to one of any over-the-counter commercially available canine DNA kits, you need to know that these are NOT accurate AT. ALL. They do NOT, in fact, identify specific breeds, but list breeds because that's what dog owners want to see. What they DO, is to identify specific genetic "markers", genes which control certain physical or behavioral traits, which many genes share in common, and then match your dog's traits up with dogs of known breeds that were sampled and entered into the database, often by show breeders. For instance, if a dog being tested has long hair, or even the recessive(but still present) gene for long hair, the test will match that dog up with other dogs in the data base which also have that same gene marker. It doesn't necessarily mean that that particular breed is in the ancestry of the dog being tested. It really is a gimmick to make dog owners feel "good" about knowing what is supposedly in the background of their pooch. This is why you see so many results including very rare breeds, which are actually in danger of extinction, like the Harrier and the Sussex Spaniel, pop up frequently in the results on mongrel dogs-they happen to share the gene for coat pattern, hair length, hunting ability, etc. With the gene pool in some of these breeds being so small, and their population in the hands of extremely dedicated breeders who are trying to salvage the breed from extinction and at the same time, make sure it doesn't fall into the hands of just anyone, the chances that there are lots of Harriers and Sussex Spaniels or Dandie Dinmont Terriers out there running around breeding with every old mutt in the neighborhood are going to extremely slim to non-existent. Most of these DNA test kits are also limited to only AKC recognized breeds, because that is where most of the comparison samples were collected: at AKC dog shows, with owners' permission. If a breed such as a Catahoula, or a Korean Jindo, are actually present, the test isn't going to recognize them, and is going to simply match up their physical or inheritable behavior traits with AKC breeds which exhibit those same traits, like Australian Shepherds(merle pattern) or Shiba Inu. Here's a video which shows how inaccurate and misleading these DNA kits really are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4CDvK868w

pitbulllady

The Snark

Old Timer
I seem to recall a friend using those over the counter tests several times. His mother's weimaraner somehow turned into a chihuahua.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I also first thought there might be a bit of boxer there, but I'm not familiar with the Catahoula breed.