WC vs CB

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
at is the major differences in CB and WC Ts? I think I have a WC only by the way it reacts to things that the other Ts do not react to...or just could be this particular T is just weird, lol. And are there reasons to not buy WC Ts? I dont like buying WC Ts for no particular reason except maybe the fear of them carrying mites or whatever. If my T is WC, I may not want to keep it...and it is my fav:(
Am I wrong to want to get rid of her? Im worried my other Ts will catch something maybe too

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Fear of catching something nasty off them.

Fear of depleting them from their natural environment.

Reassurance of knowing that the spider hasn't possibly been exposed to anything chemical/environmentally unsound (like the bomb-method of fishing).

Yes you would be wrong for getting rid of it, in my opinion. There's nothing wrong, per say, I think with the WC tarantulas. But there are good grounds for not buying them. But now that you have her/him/it, then there's no good reason to get rid of her/him/it.

In the unlikely event that you have an infected spider, it's even less likely that they'll pass it on to your others if you are cleaning your tools etc. I wouldn't panic.

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I guess ur right. I just dont know much about WC Ts. I will keep her, like I said she is my absolute fav T, but I was scared of potential problems. She has a whitish spot on her abdomen that looks like a scar - I have been watching to see if the spot is moving so I can determine if she has mites, but it does look like a scar. Will that affect her moult?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well why buy WC when there is CB to buy just as easily.

There are a few things that are different about WC, they could have a parasite, they might not adjust to their new tank life and end up dying.

But other then that not much is different. I have three WC in my collection the rest are CB. But when given the choice I will always buy CB before I buy WC, I just like knowing that the T did not have to get ripped out of its natural home in the wild and shipped to me. Its a supply and demand deal. If all of us decided tomorrow we just wanted WC then in a matter of time there would not be any left in the wild.

Its a checks and balances kinda deal with mother nature. For every clutch of CB eggs produced that is that many less that will in theory come out of the wild.

EricFavez

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What kind of T is it? Just wondering...but i have heard of scars rupturing during a molt. But unlikely of course...it may actually heal up after the molt. Any i wouldnt stress the WC..CB thing too much, eventually your WC T will get settled in just like all the others. Good luck

Later Eric

octoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Most likely the person you purchased it from (if you didn't get at a petstore) would have let you know if it was wild caught.

Try not to worry about it too much.

My dealer gave me a wc Aphonopelma seemani, but as far as I know, she's perfectly fine. She had been in captivity for more than a year before I purchased her, however.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
WC Ts aren't as bad as most people say, but there are the occasional parasites and unknown deaths. I would pick CB over WC anyday though, because CB Ts are healthier and aren't pulled out of their natural habitat(which happens regardless), but I also don't have such a big problem with WC Ts. Once example is Austin(another member on these boards) is doing a great thing by catching the Ts around a construction site around where he lives. They will be killed anyway, so why not take them into captivity where they can thrive and even breed. Thats a good situation for buying WC Ts.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it c-b- for me i never had a w-c and i can not just go out and pick one up when i step out my door its most likely i get mugged or beaten up but not by a - t - anyway LOL ======= phil

kristal_kaos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I agree with all of u about prefering CB, but i was new to ordering Ts online, and dint know to ask for only CB...it wasnt listed as either or, so I just assumed it was CB....:wall:
I luv her, she is an A. genic...about 3+ inches....i heard that "when u buy bigger sizes, its because they were WC.....not many of the bigger sizes are CB"...so, thats what got me wondering. She is gorgeous, to be honest. I just worry too much maybe:eek:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Most big dealers will come out and say if its WC, or at the top of the add will state that everything is CB unless otherwise noted. And if its not it never hurts to ask.