WC scorps

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi guys, I want to know if exist any technics for adapt WC scorps to captivity?

I had a B. Ibericus a few time ago but I had to let him free cause he streessed (I think) and stops eating.

At beggining he eats very well, but stops eating and I let him go, cause I dont want to be responsible for a die for a WC animal.

Any technics for care of them or ideas for why he stoped eating?

Tks

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Scorpions in general go through a fasting period or it could be in pre-molt.
The best way is to re-create or imitate the habitat where you got them when you set-up your enclosure. Plus do some research.

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I caught the B. Ibericus that was near to my home, like 0.5 Km, so the temperature was the same at wild, the substract I colect from the place I caught him and I have a piece of bark for hiding. The cage were 20*30 cm...

I dont understand why he stoped eating... Can enyone helps me?
Cause a few years ago I caught one and he did exactly the same. Stop eating after 4/5 weeks in captivity...

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You probably fed him to the point he was full. :D

It's normal for scorpions to fast for months at a time, especially if nearing a molt.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah scorps could eat everyday or just a few times a year. It's normal. If you recreated the habitat it wouldn't stress out so much. My WC scorps do great and i try not to feed them to constantly at first.

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I feed he only once a week with a mealworm... I will try to capture a coupleof them and have CB animals...

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sounds like a good plan! :D I hope it works well for you.

Most caresheets say weekly feeding, but I don't usually feed my adults that often, and they do just fine. I know someone with a Hadrurus scorp that gets fed monthly and it's now exceeded the normal life expectancy for that species.

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The first I have, had died before stoped eating ~3 weeks, so I dont had to have the risk with the last I have and let him free before 2 weeks without fed. That way, if were stress that make him stop eating, he is now in nature again.

I will try latter to mantain another WC scorp, but I wish to capture a female. That way, if were a big adult female, the chances to she were allready gravid are huge, but I dont know how to know the sex of them. Can anyone help me?

Tanks your all

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For sexing, check out this thread. It's a little old so some pictures are no longer there, but most have been replaced by new pictures. This may make it a little cluttered but there is still some good info.

If the scorpions that you find aren't in that thread, then post pictures of the pedipalps (pinchers), the metasoma (tail), and the pectines of any you catch. Those are the key features in sexing most species.

Hope this helps! :)

P_e_a_R

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Helps very well!

Tank U a lot!! :D

I will try to caught a female. Last time I went to pic up some invertebrates (and let they free at the time) I see a huge B. Occitanus. It had more than 10cm for sure, so I think it was a female. I will try to search in the same area wishing that will find it.

tks U a lot