Wax melters/Candles in the same room as a tarantula?

WillowTheDoll

Arachnopeon
i have a pet tarantula, a b boehmei, and i like to melt dented wax in wax burners, or light candles. i was wondering if it’s okay and safe to do in the same room that my tarantula is in? i’ve done it a couple times since i’ve got him and it doesn’t seem to bother him but i’m new to the hobby so idk.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i have a pet tarantula, a b boehmei, and i like to melt dented wax in wax burners, or light candles. i was wondering if it’s okay and safe to do in the same room that my tarantula is in? i’ve done it a couple times since i’ve got him and it doesn’t seem to bother him but i’m new to the hobby so idk.
If they are not scented should be fine. Scented may be fine, but I never risk that.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I believe there was a thread here within the past couple of months or so where @HooahArmy said they were not good. The wax goes into the air and coats the T's book lungs, which they are not able to expel like we can.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Paraffin wax is toxic to a lot of animals. Even an unscented candle has potential for harm. Paraffin wax is usually bleached by adding dioxin; texturized with acrolyn (a known carcinogen); and then mixed with animal-based stearic acid. You burn this and then inhale it. Yummy.

Scented candles use a wide variety of chemicals that are usually not listed, of which is would be nigh impossible to tell what is toxic and what isn't unless you test it.

There are candles specifically labelled "not for use by aquariums" reason being their byproducts can settle and condense into the water column. I've seen people in that hobby coat their tanks over time and kill everything inside. Some argue running charcoal negates that, but is a silly response to the issue at hand.

Not mentioned, but a lot of incense is made from plants which contain natural insecticides. Do what you will with that information.

Err on the side of caution, and wait until HooahArmy answers the demonic summoning circle for an in depth analysis.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Found it!

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
I believe there was a thread here within the past couple of months or so where @HooahArmy said they were not good. The wax goes into the air and coats the T's book lungs, which they are not able to expel like we can.
Can't imagine they're too safe for humans either, unless your hellbent on ambiance.

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
You'll still get cancer if you cough.
Cough harder!

Science actually states this is true. Our nasal, bronchial, and oral systems act as natural filters and expulsion systems for toxins. A recent Chinese study I've read indicted that those who can't cough or sneeze effectively (like elders or those with compromised lungs) are more likely to have airborne toxins settled in their lungs and throats for longer durations of time. In high-pollution places like big-city China, this may increase cancer risk.
Oh, science!

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Thank you, I'm gonna go off and read that study.

I understand that coughing helps, we have a whole system for that kind of thing, boogers being a byproduct of that process.

I was just making a comment on the limited effectiveness of it. You can cough all you like, once you inhale, you'll retain a bit of it, at that point you're hoping your lungs can purge it via the other processes our bodies have for that.

Unfortunately my grandfather couldn't cough hard enough to expel decades of cigarette byproducts from his lungs, and expired bitterly.

After a long day of inhaling sawdust and drywall dust through a mask, I still end up with phlegm that's riddled with contaminants. That's my body coughing it up, but I wonder how many tiny fragments made it past my bronchial tubes and into my alveoli. I wonder if I'll end up with similar issues.

Miners who work decades inhaling dust are a good example of this.

"Concentration over time > our natural rate of removal" is my point. Sorry I didn't mean to digress.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Cough harder!

Science actually states this is true. Our nasal, bronchial, and oral systems act as natural filters and expulsion systems for toxins. A recent Chinese study I've read indicted that those who can't cough or sneeze effectively (like elders or those with compromised lungs) are more likely to have airborne toxins settled in their lungs and throats for longer durations of time. In high-pollution places like big-city China, this may increase cancer risk.
Oh, science!
Some people say the stuff In tap water mainly fluoride .. is just as dangerous as the bad air quality in certain Cities . But that stuffs hard to filter out most homes filters aren’t up to the task .

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Has anyone checked this with Ts or other animals?
Not specifically on invertebrates, but there are several scholarly papers on the emissions of air pollutants from burning candles. This combined with HooahArmy’s trusted knowledge and what is known of spider anatomy and physiology, for me, is enough to extrapolate. We really don’t have anything more than that to work with unless someone does scientifically regulated studies. I’m 1) not qualified, and 2) not putting my T’s up as test subjects.

HooahArmy

Arachnoknight
All candles emit pollution? And said pollution has been demonstrated to have ill effects on animals?
Anytime you burn something, chemicals and toxins are released, as this is the nature of the chemical reaction that takes place. Even burning something as simple as wood can release compounds that are questionable to health. Candles on the other hand, contain fragrances, oils, stabilizers, and a whole slew of others--all things that are probably not good for any creature's lungs.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Anytime you burn something, chemicals and toxins are released, as this is the nature of the chemical reaction that takes place. Even burning something as simple as wood can release compounds that are questionable to health. Candles on the other hand, contain fragrances, oils, stabilizers, and a whole slew of others--all things that are probably not good for any creature's lungs.
I see, but all molecules get diluted in a volume of air. Animals aren’t breathing pure pollution.

Toxic chemicals at what concentration in a given volume of air?

I think people go over board and ignore the above, ie concentration

Anything is dangerous at the proper concentration/amount including dihydrogen oxide 🙄

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
I see, but all molecules get diluted in a volume of air. Animals aren’t breathing pure pollution.

Toxic chemicals at what concentration in a given volume of air?

I think people go over board and ignore the above, ie concentration

Anything is dangerous at the proper concentration/amount including dihydrogen oxide 🙄
Yes how much actually makes it to the Ts and through their ventilation?? Since mine are not in a room they spray this stuff zero chance for me. And scentcy products my sister and mom used for years never around my Ts except 1 and it’s fine .

Pedipalpable

Arachnosquire
I would definitely not risk it. I actually asked the very same question some months ago, albeit with slightly different specifics. Visit the link @IntermittentSygnal posted to my thread on the subject below. @HooahArmy gave a very helpful and in-depth response that helped me a lot by explaining what happens when candles burn and how it could affect a tarantula's respiratory system.

Found it!

I had all but forgotten about that thread. Thanks for linking to it. I'm glad to see something I asked even months ago come in handy for someone else all this time later!

All candles emit pollution? And said pollution has been demonstrated to have ill effects on animals?
Candles burn very dirty and produce a lot of soot. This fact was made profoundly evident to me when I tried using a pin heated in a candle flame to poke holes in deli cups for slings. The pin would get covered in a thick layer of black soot which would stain the plastic around the ventilation holes black. I quickly switched to a soldering iron, as it is far easier and more efficient and does not leave black stains. It is also far safer.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would definitely not risk it. I actually asked the very same question some months ago, albeit with slightly different specifics. Visit the link @IntermittentSygnal posted to my thread on the subject below. @HooahArmy gave a very helpful and in-depth response that helped me a lot by explaining what happens when candles burn and how it could affect a tarantula's respiratory system.

I had all but forgotten about that thread. Thanks for linking to it. I'm glad to see something I asked even months ago come in handy for someone else all this time later!

Candles burn very dirty and produce a lot of soot. This fact was made profoundly evident to me when I tried using a pin heated in a candle flame to poke holes in deli cups for slings. The pin would get covered in a thick layer of black soot which would stain the plastic around the ventilation holes black. I quickly switched to a soldering iron, as it is far easier and more efficient and does not leave black stains. It is also far safer.
But is soot flying through the air? Or found only on the objects being burned/heated? I always thought it was only on the above.