Waterbowl for slings?

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
For the longest time I've been using water bottle and soda bottle caps. I've noticed that the water leaks through the plastic water bottle caps though. What do you guys use as water bowls for slings?

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Er, what kind of water bottle caps are you using that leak? I thought the whole point of the caps was to keep the liquid in the bottle before its opened...

Nephrite

Arachnoknight
Er, what kind of water bottle caps are you using that leak? I thought the whole point of the caps was to keep the liquid in the bottle before its opened...
I have no idea how it leaks to be completely honest. The plastic on the bottom is so thin, the water goes through it somehow, and when I check up on it all the water goes underneath the cap.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
For the longest time I've been using water bottle and soda bottle caps. I've noticed that the water leaks through the plastic water bottle caps though. What do you guys use as water bowls for slings?
I've been using mostly bottle caps for all of my Ts. I've not had any trouble with water leaking out.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Yeah I use water bottle caps for my slings and have never had a problem.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I have actually noticed this as well and it is odd. I just change out the cap periodically. I figure it might wear out or end up with holes. It's the darnedest thing, but I check the enclosure and the cap is empty with very wet substrate underneath.

Geoff Armentrout

Arachnopeon
I actually use 1" pvc end caps like a bag 10 for $2 I also did this with 2" end caps 5 to a bag can't recall the price for larger juvies and smaller adult. I have pipe cutters that I use to clip the excess off to make a shallow bowl then I clip the pvc I cut off in half and make 2 hides (light smearing of 100% silicon no mildew crap all over it and give it a nice dry coco fiber bath maybe a pinch of sphagnum, w/e is the idea). I have not used them yet due to the fact I purchased 15lbs of cork bark and have plenty of small pieces for hides. Caught my B. boehmei and B. annitha's slings drinking from them. Use the 2" ones in both my T. blondi slings setup.

Geoff

EDIT - They need to be pressed into the sub some due to the roundish bottom.

Andy00

Arachnoknight
You could also use monopoly houses upside down for the tiny slings, or cut off the bottom of the water holding part of a pipette/dropper.

Arcana

Arachnopeon
I use bottle caps for my slings and mine have never leaked. Sounds weird that bottle cap leaks, but maybe the caps of products that are sealed underneath caps when opened aren't designed to hold water for long period of time?

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have actually noticed this as well and it is odd. I just change out the cap periodically. I figure it might wear out or end up with holes. It's the darnedest thing, but I check the enclosure and the cap is empty with very wet substrate underneath.
@Nephrite
I can almost guarantee you that the tarantula is tipping it. :D My little rascals do it often. Those caps are made to hold water for years without leaking. Material properties alone prevent water from seeping through without serious abuse.

Try filling one on a paper towel outside the cage and i bet it won't empty itself. ;)

Try using this and see if it helps:
Non-tip Bowl

I've seen many a T move or play in bowls that look impossible for them to move. I thought they had leaks for the longest time until i did the excitement above and noticed 8 of 12 caps/ceramic bowls were "leaking" but only some times.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Juice carton caps. I've never had a problem with them, though they do evaporate quite quickly.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
check for a fine web over the edges or around the cap. Mine sometimes will spin a web over the edge of the cap and then the water wicks along the web and into the sub. Sometimes the webbing is so fine you can't see it unless you've got a bright light shining on it and you're squinting at it just right.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
One other idea...see if you have a Container Store near you. Then go there and look for these little circular storage things and use the caps as water dishes. I've started using them and they're cool. A little bigger than a water bottle cap so better for larger slings, but they also look nicer than bottle caps and are very cheap. A pack of 12 is under $3. You could also use the container itself if you need a deeper water dish.

sling-dish.jpg

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
For water, by size of spider:

1/8" to 1/2" - moist log fiber sphagnum on the substrate

1/2" - bottle caps from 16 oz water bottles

juvenile - 1 oz soufflé cup (by the sleeve from restaurant supply stores)

subadult to adult - 3.25 soufflé cup

All are plastic, inexpensive, and disposable. If it's got a bolus or feces in it, I throw it out. No scrubbing, no build up of bacteria over time.

cold blood

Staff member
Caps, just like you, water bottle caps are most used.

I have no idea how it leaks to be completely honest. The plastic on the bottom is so thin, the water goes through it somehow, and when I check up on it all the water goes underneath the cap.
Its not leaking.

check for a fine web over the edges or around the cap. Mine sometimes will spin a web over the edge of the cap and then the water wicks along the web and into the sub. Sometimes the webbing is so fine you can't see it unless you've got a bright light shining on it and you're squinting at it just right.

+1

There is your answer, its the wicking effect...any, and I mean ANY webbing or substrate touching the edges of the dish will wick the water away, and surprisingly quick.

Keep the edges of the water bowl clean.

Quixtar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Caps, just like you, water bottle caps are most used.

Its not leaking.

+1

There is your answer, its the wicking effect...any, and I mean ANY webbing or substrate touching the edges of the dish will wick the water away, and surprisingly quick.

Keep the edges of the water bowl clean.
Capillary action in action there. I see this happen all the time with my bottle caps.

GG80

Arachnoknight
Could be a bit of webbing or substrate in the bottle cap. This would soak up the water quite quickly. I've seen it happen loads of times.