Water thingies???

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys, me again....hehe. Hmm...the water dish for my emps was empty today so I filled it up and upon refilling, I noticed a group of little thingies moving around in the water. I had to study it for a second but eventually noticed that they are without a doubt moving. What could these be? Dangerous? Its almost like like dust-sized spiders or something, I dunno...I don't want to give off the wrong impression. When I stuck my finger in and got some on my finger, they wouldn't move....or not that I could see anyway. I'm not really sure how to describe it but its like little specs of dust with legs...(only noticeable by the movement of water around them) . :? Thanks for all help in advance, as you guys are alway MORE than helpful.! :D

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are they actually in the water, or on the surface of the water? I sometimes see springtails (minute, common, harmless soil dwelling insects) moving around on the surface of water bowls in my more humid cages. Surface tension keeps them afloat.

Wade

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On the surface...so they are harmless? yay..good deal. If these are the ones like you speak of then, that's good. But yes, they just chill on the surface.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
They do sound like springtails...I get them too aroung the water dish and other places in my humid setups...not as annoying as the flying midges though...also harmless...

John

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not only are they harmless, I think they may be bennificial, feeding on all kinds of leftover organic debris, while not bothering the occupants. They're also great for when you have really tiny baby scorpions to feed.

Wade