Water Scorpions

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Not anything like a scorpion, that's for sure. They're actually an insect and a true bug.

Photo by Gerard Visser:

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I was wondering what was up with the Nadkicker being the most recent posting to the scorpion forum. Thanks for joining us, Chip, even if it had nothing to do with scorpions at all.

Cheers,
Dave

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I see

those arent true Scorpions, I was under the understanding that Water Scorpions were the descendants of the true water scorpions of the era before the dinosaurs. I dont know if any of you heard about them. I thought they were the giant prehistoric scorpions that feed on giant dragonflys and fish.
thanks.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Yes, the first scorpions were giant aquatic things. They have no relation to what we now call "water scorpions," though. All of the aquatic scorpions are extinct.

Cheers,
Dave

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
aquatic Scorpions

If they were still around you know they would be the big thing, T's would beg them for some attention. hehehe

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Not anything like a scorpion, that's for sure. They're actually an insect and a true bug.

Photo by Gerard Visser:
I wonder who would even want something like that for a pet... Probably doesn't live very long.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I kept one for a few weeks when seasonal rains in Florida washed gazillions of them out of the drainage ditches and into peoples yards. Had to let it go because it kept climbing up the air hose on the aquarium and inevitably making it into my one roommate's bed all the way down the hall :D The best thing was the things can actually fly short distances if they want, REALLY freaky bug when they're in the air.

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
RE

Yeah i caught one of those about 6 years ago , fed it tadpoles and minnows was pretty cool--Jeff

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We have two genara where I live, Nepa (like in Code Monkey's post) and Ranatra (long and phasmid-like). Both are fairly sluggish, but interesting. Giant water bugs are simmilar but lack the brething tube and are more active swimmers.

The closest living relative of the prehistoric sea scorpions is the horseshoe crab. Possibly my favorite animal :)

Wade