Water drop photography

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pretty sweet April! :D

I'm currently trying some shots with a paper-thin splash pool in order to get some nice crowns, some with milk ... dismal failures so far. LOL
I remember creating some beautiful ones in HS, getting too old to remember how I did it. :o_O:

p.s. #4 is my fave. :D

Last edited:

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I made a Loch Ness Monster! :D
I was just about to comment with something similar! Very nice (and that's my fave of your pics :) ).

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Before I closet my apparatus I wanted to show how nicely a water/milk mixture works with this.

(This first one is just an image I liked from when I was trying in vain to get some nice crown splashes ... I took about 300 shots without nailing a single splash! :eek:

While not as dramatic as water drops, especially the wonderful way Chad lit his, milk has a charm too. :)

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Nice shots April! Kinda of addicting isn't it? :D

Awesome milk shots Michael! I think you should have a few cheerios floating around in the picture. {D

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice shots April! Kinda of addicting isn't it? :D

Awesome milk shots Michael! I think you should have a few cheerios floating around in the picture. {D
hehe I think my choice would be lucky charms. :D

VERY addicting!! I thought I was done but I've been working on a whole new set all night! A 30% addition of maple syrup. ;)

(My camera is SO sticky! LOL)

---------- Post added 02-18-2013 at 09:09 AM ----------

Okay, so I had to work up another set, this time I added a 30% solution of maple syrup to increase the surface tension and viscosity. It both makes the splashes more controlled and symmetrical and creates some interesting strings up by the dripper. :)

Last edited:

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Are you guys taking requests?

Kool-aid

Skim milk VS Whole Milk

non-newtonian fluid. SPLAT

Nice shots!!!

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks njnolan! :D

Non-newtonian fluids are commonly added to the primary liquid in order to produce various desired effects, commonly shampoo rinse, soap, glycerine and sugar guam. Some other as-yet untried non-newtonian materials might be silly putty ... or the non-fictional oobleck and flubber! {D

This project begs and screams "experiment!!" LOL

Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Today I just experimented with different colored diffusing. All the liquid is plain old water, the coloring is coming from the flash. :D

I had a few more ideas I wanted to try tonight but I forgot to charge my flash's batteries! Another day............:D

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OMG I'm on acid! :eek:

Very cool Chad! :D How did you get the multiple colors with a single flash?

[edit] Ah, never mind ... I can see the diffuser refracted in the drops. ;)

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm not at all interested in paying the big bucks for the electronic sensors and triggers required to get water drops to collide with foolproof accuracy, but some of the same interesting effects can be seen by smashing the falling drops onto any object ... in this case a screwdriver blade. A 10% syrup mixture gave these shots that cool superstring effect. :)

Since sharpness isn't really an issue here these were shot at f/32 to try to get everything in focus.

Alien water-mantis. :D

Fingernail splash! by _papilio, on Flickr

Last edited:

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Wow, awesome pictures. As awesome of these pictures are I must say it must look a little comical watching the photo shoot :D.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, awesome pictures. As awesome of these pictures are I must say it must look a little comical watching the photo shoot :D.
Thank you njnolan! :)

LOL I suspect you're right! I'm always so absorbed in what I'm trying to do that I never think of how it must appear to an observer standing behind me ... nothing going on except my flash firing as wildly as it can without overheating!

It's probably about the same were someone to watch me shooting slings. ;) In either case, not really much to see until the computer reveals what's on the memory card! Such is the fascination of shooting macro. :D

Last edited:

AprilH

Petridish
Old Timer
I like the fingernail shot. It looks kind of like an eye! :p

Yeah, we're cool. I spent my Saturday night taking pictures of water. he he

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like the fingernail shot. It looks kind of like an eye! :p
Thank you April! :D

Yeah it does ... almost disturbingly so, appearing as it does to be dripping with fresh bodily fluids.

... :eek:

Yeah, we're cool. I spent my Saturday night taking pictures of water. he he
{D {D {D

That's okay though, I think Pascal would be pleased. ;)