Water Dishes - What size to include?

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
At what size do you recommend including a water dish in the tarantulas tank?
Currently, I've been including one for my 2.5 inch and larger tarantulas. For the smaller ones I've been misting the sides and keeping a portion of the substrate wet.
Its seemed to work well, but I was curious what everyone else was doing.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Ralph, I'm probably doing somthing similiar. I have a couple of pokies that I think it's time for a water dish, but I haven't gotten around to it, so I mist them more often.
I would say that that is a good size for them to start off with a small water dish

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard of where people will put a dime in a tank and taking an eyedropper, slowly put the water on it, its like a water bubble on the dime.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For me if it's smaller then a dime I mist the sides good.
For 3/4 of an inch to an inch and a half or so I use a two liter soda bottle lid with some fishtank gravel in it (Yes guys I did away with allllllllll my sponges :p ) To prevent any accidental drowings that my poor old paranoid mind might think up.
One and a half to two inches I use a Three liter bottle lid with gravel.
So forth and so on.

I look at the spider basicly and pick a dis it can comfortably settles it's feet on the rim of.

I add gravel till theres about a quarter of an inch free water depth.

I don't fill any dish more then an inch. That's including gravel.

Whether I'm doing it wrong or right I don't know.
The T's seem to be doing fine with it. Crickets don't get trapped and drown and I don't worry about drowining baby T's.

Hope this helped.

JacenAgain

Banned duplicate acct
I dont put water dishes into my tarantula tanks until the tarantula is big enough to stand over top of the dish that I am using. I never put them in with spiderlings at all.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I also start using a dish at about the 2" size. I use a 2-oz condiment cup with a rock in it.

Wade