water dish for 1cm sling

Trevis

Arachnopeon
Guys if i put a small water dish in 1cm sling,whats the maintenance,i mean if these sling kick in the dirt do i have to clean the dish and pour in new water for them or just leave it if they wan to drink they can suck the dish??

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
@Poec54 uses those disposable (I think souffele or something) cups for that reason. Spider dirties dish, you just throw it out and grab a new one. I use bottlecaps of varying sizes, I have hundreds of them.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
But for a sling 1cm? None of my slings of that size get a water dish. They eat so often that they simply don't need it. Food twice per day takes care of their water requirement. For the more humid dependant ones, they get a small chunk of sphagnum moss that they can drink from if need be, but I've never seen it happen.

Trevis

Arachnopeon
@Poec54 uses those disposable (I think souffele or something) cups for that reason. Spider dirties dish, you just throw it out and grab a new one. I use bottlecaps of varying sizes, I have hundreds of them.
Can i know whats the different here : 1.moist half the substrate and sometimes sling will suck water from the moist substrate....
2.replace a water dish everytime sling kick in dirt...cant they suck the water from the dish while is full of substrate too?

Trevis

Arachnopeon
Food
But for a sling 1cm? None of my slings of that size get a water dish. They eat so often that they simply don't need it. Food twice per day takes care of their water requirement. For the more humid dependant ones, they get a small chunk of sphagnum moss that they can drink from if need be, but I've never seen it happen.
Food twice per day even their abdomen is plump bro??

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Food

Food twice per day even their abdomen is plump bro??
Slings get fed until they start refusing food right before a molt. They know when they've had enough, we don't. On my days off, I feed thrice per day.

EDIT: Depends on the size of the roach, but you get the idea.

Trevis

Arachnopeon
Slings get fed until they start refusing food right before a molt. They know when they've had enough, we don't. On my days off, I feed thrice per day.

EDIT: Depends on the size of the roach, but you get the idea.
Can i fed them one time per day until they refuse?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Guys if i put a small water dish in 1cm sling,whats the maintenance,i mean if these sling kick in the dirt do i have to clean the dish and pour in new water for them or just leave it if they wan to drink they can suck the dish??
So you are asking us if you can be lazy? You can at the expense of your pet, but why bother unless you think your pet is disposable.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
All mine get water dishes -- even tiny slings. I have even used the shallow cap from a shipping vial for particularly tiny slings. Yeah, you may have to clean them or swap them out. Water in small dishes evaporates quicker too, so they must be checked more often. But Ts need water -- especially slings. Use sphagnum moss if you must -- but offer a water source if you're going to keep Ts.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Depends on how big the enclosure is. A 1 cm sling is really small so you may have it somewhere that you really can't fit a water source in. In that case I either wet a bit of the sub, or some sphagnum moss, or if it is a webber I'll put some drops on the web. If its in an enclosure big enough, I'll use the cap from a small water bottle.

BossRoss

Arachnosquire
All mine get water dishes no matter the size of the T.
If they small slings I will throw a couple stones, meant for fish tanks, into in a plastic bottle cap like one from a coke bottle, just in case they do wonder into the water bowl and need to get out. Since my T room is always kept nice and warm I do this more to ensure there is humidity but nice to know there is water should the T need it.

MoonWeaver

Arachnopeon
All my Ts get water dishes as well. I use an idea I borrowed from the forums - Monopoly houses - for slings.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
How does that resolve needing water bowl? I'm not seeing the connection.
I think he's saying that a super well fed sling will be fairly hydrated, but 1cm if you ask me is too small to try that. I have a couple slings like this, since they're my baby arboreals in vials, and they do fine. I do still use a syringe and dribble some water down every day or so, just to be sure.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
How does that resolve needing water bowl? I'm not seeing the connection.
Tox pretty much got it. I know that many people use water dishes, I'm just giving my experience.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
I think he's saying that a super well fed sling will be fairly hydrated, but 1cm if you ask me is too small to try that. I have a couple slings like this, since they're my baby arboreals in vials, and they do fine. I do still use a syringe and dribble some water down every day or so, just to be sure.

You can't rely on food to provide all the hydration. They need a water source at all sizes. They lose water daily thru transpiration, and adults are typically fed once or twice a month, there will be a problem at some point. Additionally they lose a significant amount of their body fluids during molting, and will die of dehydration without water. Their fangs are still too soft to eat for that week or two.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
You can't rely on food to provide all the hydration. They need a water source at all sizes. They lose water daily thru transpiration, and adults are typically fed once or twice a month, there will be a problem at some point, and it may not take long.
Oh absolutely, juveniles and adults are never to be kept this way. Only the smallest slings - even larger slings get a water dish. But at that size? Getting a water dish in a vial and then maintaining it is just too much of a hassle for something that is, in my experience, unneeded. If it's in premolt or just molted, I tend to spray the side to offer some drinking water since eating is obviously not an option.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
At 1/2" my slings get water bowls. Smaller than that they get moist long fiber sphagnum moss, laid on the surface. They can nest in it and drink from it.