Was Getting An Emp!! But...

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
My Dad was going to let me get an emperor scorpling! But he was watching Discovery Channel and they were talkling about how bad scorpions are, how it kills 100 people in a year, ect! I hate when they make them seem so dangerous, but when they really know nothing about them!

James

P.S- I felt like posting this to let out all the anger:mad:

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Your dad needs to get an Arachnopets account and keep an eye on the scorp forum and ask a few questions here to clear his mind on what is safe and not safe about the various species of scorpions.

The emporer scorpion, Pandinus imperator, has a sting no worse than that of a bee. Though one must remember that there are people who are allergic to bee sting and it can be dangerous for them...the same goes with the emporer scorpion or any scorpion, tarantula or centipede for that matter...though allergic reaction is rare..even in most people who are allergic to bee sting.

John
];')

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
My Dad was going to let me get an emperor scorpling! But he was watching Discovery Channel and they were talkling about how bad scorpions are, how it kills 100 people in a year, ect! I hate when they make them seem so dangerous, but when they really know nothing about them!

James

P.S- I felt like posting this to let out all the anger:mad:
James, not to worry, I personally know a guy that has been stung over 200 times by emperor scorpions and he is doing fine. (I think it was over 200 times, I will have to ask him again)
Ed

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Re: Re: Was Getting An Emp!! But...

Originally posted by atavuss
James, not to worry, I personally know a guy that has been stung over 200 times by emperor scorpions and he is doing fine. (I think it was over 200 times, I will have to ask him again)
Ed
All at once?

;)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
James,

You should tell your dad that ALL recorded deaths from scorpion stings have been caused by members of the family Buthidae, which emperors are definately not.

Emperors (Pandinus) are in the family Scorpionidae, which includes the Asian forest scorpions, Heterometrus, probably the only genus that gets mistaken for emperors with any regularity. Fortunately, both are harmless. There is always the possibilty of allegic reaction, but this is apparently very, very rare in the case of arachnids. So rare, that if it happened, it would probably get written up in a medical journal!

Wade

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm sure that you have come across the show Fear Factor. You have at least have to have seen a commercial. Well, anyways, I've seen people on that show have to lay in a pit of emperor scorpions. There is no way that a tv executive would let this go on if there was going to be a problem!

Bd

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Was Getting An Emp!! But...

Originally posted by whoami?
All at once?

;)
it was over a period of years, and he is Mike "Troll"
Ed

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Getting An Emp!! But...

Originally posted by atavuss
it was over a period of years, and he is Mike "Troll"
Ed
How did I somehow know that's who you were going to say before you said it? :)