Want a very social pet bird?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Get a Myna.

A friend found this youngster on the side of the road looking a bit dazed. Been chasing too many parked cars I guess. So he packed it home to his restaurant. It took the bird 24 hours to accept him as friendly. Another 3 or 4 days to get used to other people.

Now, two weeks later, it has taken over the restaurant. Running into the kitchen dodging peoples feet, chasing the cat, and stealing food off the customers plates.

The only way I was able to keep it out of my dinner was to constantly offer it tidbits and block occasional dashes for a bigger piece with my hand.

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You know, for someone with username the Snark, you post an awful lot of endearing, humorous and funny content :)
I find myself instantly clicking your posts as soon as they pop up in my new posts section, because i lnow it will be something nice or funny to read!

The Snark

Old Timer
In the midst of the word he was trying to say,
In the midst of his laughter and glee,
He had softly and suddenly vanished away---
For the Snark _was_ a Boojum, you see.

The Snark

Old Timer
What is completely hilarious is the bird raiding the kitchen. It knows things yummy drop on the floor so it walks, or runs, dashing around people's feet. It's moves would make Walter Peyton sit up with mouth agape. The Waterloo is Spaghetti. The chef, my buddy's wife, turning about to notice the bird sitting on top of the 20lb pile of spaghetti made for the evenings dinners. It is spaghetti-centric. Worshiper of the long thin exciting strings that, in dedicated roadkill cafe epicurean circles*, must be strewn far and wide over kitchen and dining area and trod on to lend that piquant three-day-old-dead flavor.
The only thing going for the humans that checks spaghetti raiding is the birds innate survivalist instincts: When to spaghetti and when I'm seriously risking getting smacked with a flying pan.

* Myna's are the avian ghouls of the world. Nice flat hardening roadkill a few days old is a feast for the gods. The occasional Myna not quite fast enough for that speeding car simply becomes the next days feathered, flattened main course for it's friends and relations.

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
Has it spoken to you yet?
Not yet. But it has a pretty vast assortment of noises which grows daily. The Myna's outside my office window emulate cat-in-season- meows driving all the neighborhood cats crazy as well as a passable imitation of the ambulance European style deedle deedle siren.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I've always wanted a Myna or a African Grey Parrot but I don't have much space and my cousins own the devil's macaw which squawks all day, tries to murder everyone, and has even learned to curse from my aunt. That thing is pure evil lol. And I don't have much money. :p Memory that fits with the subject of birds: I remember when I used to live in Japan I used to love to go to this one pet store called Pet Box. It was the largest pet store in Okinawa and it always had stuff you could never get in any other stores. So one day I walk in to go see the reptiles and at the registrar there is an African Grey Parrot. I see a Japanese couple go up to it and talk to it: "Konichiwa!" said the couple at the same time, "Konichiwa" said the African Grey Parrot with a stereotypical parrot voice. I just looked it very confused because at that time it never occurred to me that African Grey Parrots can learn languages OTHER than ENGLISH.

The Snark

Old Timer
I just looked it very confused because at that time it never occurred to me that African Grey Parrots can learn languages OTHER than ENGLISH.
My similar surprise was when I was about 6. Heard a friend's bird say something. It took me several weeks to figure out it was in a foreign language and get it translated. Rude, caution advised ->
Klicken sie fick dich
I've still got it memorized.

Last edited: