Wall Hanging Enclosure

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hm... So i've been thinking about... aesthetics in enclosures...

As in for arboreal species. I think it would be possible to create a wall hanging enclosure? Like, a picture frame on the wall but enclosure form.

I want to put them in my kitchen, where there is not enough room for a shelf, and if there was a shelf there it would just look bad.. lol

Or do you think I would need a small shelf below it? like a piece of wood the size of the base of the enclosure attached to the wall for extra support?

Thanks guys!
(hope you know what I mean)

Crysta

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been thinking of something like this lately.. Like a nice display in the living room.. But.. Me being the not so handy man.. Im not sure how it would work if I built it..

Plus I like it cold.. So.. They have to stay in the critter room..

Maybe if you build one out of plexiglass.. You can drill holes in it & mount brackets to it so you can hang it on the wall.. Sounds possible..

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Hm... So i've been thinking about... aesthetics in enclosures...

For arboreal species.... I think it would be possible to create a wall hanging enclosure? Like... a picture frame on the wall but enclosure form.

I want to put them in my kitchen...where there is not enough room for a shelf... and if there was a shelf there it would just look bad.. lol

Or do you think I wound need a small shelf below it? like a piece of wood the size of the base of the enclosure attached to the wall for extra support?

Thanks guys!
(hope you know what I mean)

Crysta
i think thats yea its a cool idea but one day there gonna be that reason you bump into the wall and your prized T enclosure including your T will take a tumble niether will survive but i mean maybe if you make a kind of housing similar to a plasma tv then i would not see why not good uck anyway

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is an idea. Hmmm, may have to pose this question to a crafty friend of mine.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was thinking if there was a base piece already attached the the wall, once the enclosure was placed on the base piece there would be little brackets on the sides to prevent downfall if I hit it, or if there was a minor earth quake.
it would basically 'slide in the brackets' so if I needed to do cage maintenance (Wouldn't be that high up anyways...) I just slide it up... and clean cage/soil...

wow my spelling is bad... lol

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
I was thinking if there was a base piece already attached the the wall, once the enclosure was placed on the base piece there would be little brackets on the sides to prevent downfall if I hit it, or if there was a minor earth quake.
it would basically 'slide in the brackets' so if I needed to do cage maintenance (Wouldn't be that high up anyways...) I just slide it up... and clean cage/soil...

wow my spelling is bad... lol
hmm you know yea maybe you can make kind of like a lock in such as ave a box and its hollow and you can see int it but theres a little ledge so you cannot pull the cage by reaching in but you have to slide the top off then reach down into it ... i know that was probably confusing and is hard to explain lol

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
^ Huh huh, yeah, huh huh huh, yeah. He said hard.............{D

Jaymz Bedell

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been thinking of doing something like this myself, after seeing a wall hanging highland vivarium on a dart frog website. depending on the structure of the wall a few screws into a stud or 2 (sounds a lot dirtier than it is) should hold a frame that an enclosure can be slid into and secured. I was thinking either a loose tree bark theme or rocky cliff type of theme for some tailless whipscorpions would look pretty sweet. to keep weight down id do most of the enclosure itself out of plexiglass and do the front out of glass, I just don't like how easily plexi scratches. I could definitely see this working for an obligate burrower as well, ant farm style. now I'm all sorts of thinking about this again...

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm you know yea maybe you can make kind of like a lock in such as ave a box and its hollow and you can see int it but theres a little ledge so you cannot pull the cage by reaching in but you have to slide the top off then reach down into it ... i know that was probably confusing and is hard to explain lol
I think I know what you mean! :)

I've been thinking of doing something like this myself, after seeing a wall hanging highland vivarium on a dart frog website. depending on the structure of the wall a few screws into a stud or 2 (sounds a lot dirtier than it is) should hold a frame that an enclosure can be slid into and secured. I was thinking either a loose tree bark theme or rocky cliff type of theme for some tailless whipscorpions would look pretty sweet. to keep weight down id do most of the enclosure itself out of plexiglass and do the front out of glass, I just don't like how easily plexi scratches. I could definitely see this working for an obligate burrower as well, ant farm style. now I'm all sorts of thinking about this again...
Hi Jaymez! I always enjoy your presence in posts haha :)

I think i'd use all plexi glass, I just don't trust how glass easily breaks in my presence... hehe. Ill be looking through some wall shelfs as well, and maybe modify them into something you describe. But I am unsure as of yet.

When I googled up a picture I found this pretty thing http://gryphonstainedglass.com/wall-hanging-terrarium-with-stained-glass-feature/#comment-106
I like the look of it, but I think in the end it would be quite expensive. :(

I was thinking something like this, in the size of the little terrarium that would be on the wall
http://www.bonluxat.com/a/teppo-asikainen-wall-basket-shelf.html
maybe have front piece of plastic to stop forward falling? ...

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
I think I know what you mean! :)

Hi Jaymez! I always enjoy your presence in posts haha :)

I think i'd use all plexi glass, I just don't trust how glass easily breaks in my presence... hehe. Ill be looking through some wall shelfs as well, and maybe modify them into something you describe. But I am unsure as of yet.

When I googled up a picture I found this pretty thing http://gryphonstainedglass.com/wall-hanging-terrarium-with-stained-glass-feature/#comment-106
I like the look of it, but I think in the end it would be quite expensive. :(

I was thinking something like this, in the size of the little terrarium that would be on the wall
http://www.bonluxat.com/a/teppo-asikainen-wall-basket-shelf.html
maybe have front piece of plastic to stop forward falling? ...
no thats what the ledge i was talking about just put it around perimiter it will stop it from going forward

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I swear I read a thread about someone making a shadowbox style enclosure. It looked cool, but was hard to maintain. I'll have to search for it- I've contemplated this too.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wonder, as far as maintenance goes, about giving it doors like on an exoterra. Maybe a one piece door the locks on the side? Then it shouldn't be any harder to deal with.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yep that's what I was thinking too! but I would want the doors near the bottom so I can have a pretty view... or just put them on the front, and slide the enclosure backwards and slide it out for maintainability...but i think that just would be a hassle.. but I don't think I would mind...

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here is my thoughts.. A picture to help what I am saying.. Its not the best.. But its all I can manage.. Im not very... Artistic... :eek:

Heres my discription...

The brown is the shelf that is mounted to the wall.. Slide the tank inside the shelf from the top.. That way it does not risk sliding off for any reason.. Be it a quake, being bumped, or whatever.. You can still open the enclosure & do mait. from the front being that it is a front load enclosure..

Simple? :eek:

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am not either so don't feel bad lol

I don't like the idea of the whole box sourounding the area though, I like to peek inside from more directions...so I'd modify it to...

Um..the black squares are hinges...
the container sunken into the brown box...
side view has vents on both sides...

I like it better with a boxy thing only on the bottom, and it would be high enough to make it stable so that it does not fall to the floor.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My thoughts on that.. It might not be stable enough.. The weight of the enclosure might just rip the screws/nails/whatever you use out of the wall..

But thats my opinion..

To add more stability.. You might add a back to the box.. Like a back & the box.. No sides.. That way it is more stable & I dont see any risk..

You then have a view from both sides & front..

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is what I would do:

Plexie glass. A shelf underneath that's attached to the wall. The door would attach to the side, giving a clear view. I would also drill a hole on each side of the back. I would have two screws attached to the wall with a plastic anchor, the screws would fit through the holes, rather then using regular nails. My ventilation would be on the sides.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe put a hinge on the wall so that it clasps to the enclosure on either side, or on top? that way is stable even if on a shelf in case of someone bumping into it. And it can unclasp so it can be moved.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lots of nice ideas :)
Ill let you guys know how it turns out :) ill get the materials and stuff within the next few weeks... ill probably merge a few of the ideas posted here ...

I have plans for more t's.... :)