Vivarium/Terrarium plant watering help

jimmyx36

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm about to set up a arboreal vivarium in my 29 gallon aquarium. I initially planned to put a tall plant in it, such as a ficus or a hibiscus and fill the bottom 6 inches with soil. However, I'm a total n00b when it comes to plants and flowers and all that jazz. Will I need to drain the soil somehow? I'm worried that it will get filled with water too much when I water the plants. Will not having drainage for the plant water be a problem? I'm assuming the plant will soak up whatever water is in the soil, right? Oh, and I plan on having my humidity drip water go into the soil when it runs off of the plants.

Thanks so much!

- James

jwmeeker

Arachnopeon
The short answer is that you can use "hydroton" for your drainage. If you go to their website it will list suppliers in your area that carry it. It's a heat expanded clay that will help provide the drainage that you need.
The long answer (still kind of short) is go check out the forums at dendroboard.com and you can find all kinds of ideas for setting your terrarium up and making false bottoms, etc.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
You could also use gravel but the enclosure will weigh a ton, I've seen people also use charcoal (the type for plants not the bbq kind).