Vinegaroon - Adult or Not?

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone,

I have a vinegaroon who is currently in hibernation. I'm wondering what instar she is in, as I would like to know whether she is an adult or not.
She is a female, but that's basically all I know. No species ID, no age. She was just sold as a "Large Vinegaroon."

Here are two photos of her taken before she went into hibernation. Could anyone tell me whether she is an adult or not?

1.jpg 2.jpg

Thanks.

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
To be honest I don't think there will be any way to identify the particular instar. I don't know anything about them :/ is there sexual dimorphism?

What is the species?

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Oh, okay. That's alright!
This is either Mastigoproctus giganteus or Mastigoproctus tohono. Apparently, they are very similar species.
There is sexual dimorphism, from what I know-- females have shorter and stubbier pedipalps than males. They might also have wider bodies.
You can also sex them by looking at their ventral side, but I am not an expert on that.

Sugarpill

Arachnosquire
I definitely believe this is an adult, my M. giganteus and tohono are this size and have been for a few years. Unless you get a true monster, and she’s pretty chonky already, I doubt she will molt again. She looks excellent, elegant, and well fed! :happy:

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I've heard that their size can vary as adults, so my concerns regarding her size are probably unfounded.
I'm glad she might not have to molt again-- that's always scary for me.

Thanks for the compliments, I'll make sure to tell her! 😁
Her name is Lavender and she is the queen of all my invert pets.

Sugarpill

Arachnosquire
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I've heard that their size can vary as adults, so my concerns regarding her size are probably unfounded.
I'm glad she might not have to molt again-- that's always scary for me.

Thanks for the compliments, I'll make sure to tell her! 😁
Her name is Lavender and she is the queen of all my invert pets.
Omgosh I know! It’s hard enough that they hibernate for so long sometimes, which can be really scary if they don’t give you a special little viewing window. I’ve been lucky enough to see all my hibernations! Your comment made me so happy, Lavender is gorgeous, we need more vinegaroon love! They’re such awesome critters!!