Vietnamese centipede dying?

keenerb

Arachnopeon
Last weekend my son purchased his first Vietnamese centipede. It was quite lively and active, has eaten several deathshead roaches and has had plenty of darkness, hiding places, and ambient temperature between 75 and 78 degrees.

This morning it was partially curled up and very lethargic. Legs are moving only very slightly, the head is curling downwards and antenna are curled up in odd fashion.

Is this centipede dying? I am guessing it is dehydrated, based on his substrate. Will misting the centipede directly help? He's had a shallow water bowl and eaten a large cockroach every other day.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
That's a bone dry substrate suitable for a Grammostola rosea, not for an Asian centipede, man. Ok the water dish, but I keep mine with a lot of inches of moist substrate (definitely a bit slightly more moist than my Asian T's/Humidity needing T's).

While I'm not sure if yours is dying, I'm 100% sure that the substrate is too dry.

keenerb

Arachnopeon
That's a bone dry substrate suitable for a Grammostola rosea, not for an Asian centipede, man. Ok the water dish, but I keep mine with a lot of inches of moist substrate (definitely a bit slightly more moist than my Asian T's/Humidity needing T's).

While I'm not sure if yours is dying, I'm 100% sure that the substrate is too dry.
Yep that's 100% my suspicion. I've moistened some substrate and removed the 'pede to a smaller enclosure where I'll keep an eye on him for a little bit.

I don't think my son reviewed the centipede care sheet closely enough...