Vietnamese Birdeater

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I seem to recall an earlier post on tarantulas listed as "Vietnamese Birdeaters", but can't recall what the consensus was concerning species. If anyone can remember, it would be greatly appreciated. The local pet shop has a "Vietnamese Birdeater" and I'm trying to decide whether to add it to my tarantula family. It kind of reminds me of a Thailand Black (Haplopelma minix) but the abdomen is more grey (almost a grey/black tiger stripe) than I remember. In any case, it has a nasty disposition.
Maybe it just needs some love?=D
Thanks!
Ralph

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely not a P irminia. THey are from Venezuela. I am sure it is C paganus that you are referring to. They are mean so I wouldnt recommend it unless you are experienced.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I believe the Vietnamese Birdeater's (I prefer Vietnamese Tiger though.) scientific name is tentatively Haplopelma sp *longipendum* or something close to that.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think the conclusion arrived at by Volker Van Wirth was that the spider was an undescribed species from the sub-family Ornithoctoniae (that spelling is probably waaaay off but anyway). He said it was definately NOT Haplopelma.

This was based on a pic I posted that you said looked like the one you were talking about, assuming we're still talking about the same one.

Here's the pic, (taken by Art Evans):

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Anyone ever consider the possibility that a vietnamese birdeater doesn't exist and that a petshop somewhere decided to give a name to an unknown spider they had?

SurfinJB

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Arachnocity or center or something like that sell V. Bird eaters on their site they also have a pic. Maybe you could ask them what theirs are. Not to say your getting the same thing....

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I myself own a Vietnamese Birdeater. I know that Invertepets sells them as well. But under a different name. Here is how it appears on their stocklist:

Vietnamese Tiger (Haplopelma sp. "longipedum")

I much rather prefer Vietnamese Tiger don't you?