Vietnam blue

Pcutler38

Arachnopeon
I have a vietnam blue tarantula thats 2". Since I got it, it has molted one time buy it burried itself and I don't know if it has molted since. What ways can I find out if it has or not??

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I have a vietnam blue tarantula thats 2". Since I got it, it has molted one time buy it burried itself and I don't know if it has molted since. What ways can I find out if it has or not??
Do nothing

A 2 inch T does not need you disturbing it by digging it up or anything else.

Do not offer food. Eventually when it wants prey you will see it's legs sticking out of the burrow entrance.

Having tarantulas requires patience. Something I never had in the past until I had T's and I developed patience.

Pcutler38

Arachnopeon
Do nothing

A 2 inch T does not need you disturbing it by digging it up or anything else.

Do not offer food. Eventually when it wants prey you will see it's legs sticking out of the burrow entrance.

Having tarantulas requires patience. Something I never had in the past until I had T's and I developed patience.
I just don't know if it's already molted since we got it. It's burrowed most of the time. Every now and then I'll use my flashlight and I see it at the entrance but I dont know if it's molted

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Lots of times you don't know if they've molted with fossorials. My C. lividus finally showed itself last night, after like 4 months. No molt tossed out, all I saw was legs and a flash when it popped out to grab a roach. I don't think I've ever actually seen a molt from it, and it's molted maybe 4 times in there.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I just don't know if it's already molted since we got it. It's burrowed most of the time. Every now and then I'll use my flashlight and I see it at the entrance but I dont know if it's molted
Have patience....

I only have one fossorial, a Pseudhapalopus sp blue. In 4 years that I have had it I never once seen it molt. Same as @jbooth mine never tossed the old molt out.

That T taught me to have more patience.

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
My Chylobrachys Dyscolus (Vietnam Blue) is about 2 to 2 1/2 inch.
Picked it up as a Freebie... It's great, comes out and displays especially at Night.
Try quietly approaching when dark use a low flashlight.
My Brown Buddy is Layed Back so far.
Don't know about the Color Blue however in the Name as it is completely Brown?

Last edited:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
Do not dig up your t ! Your t will not appreciate it at all, especially if they are mid moult and you collapse their home ontop of them! Just trust your t they have been T'ing longer then humans have been about, they know what they are doing. Just keep the water dish full, wait and trust your t 😊

I suggest you do some research, a t like chilobrachys dyscolus are not to be trifled with. Use our search bar and read all you find, watch Tom's big spiders & Daves little beasties vids on this sp, and between the 3 it should give you a better view of what to expect from a tarantula like chilobrachys dyscolus, no matter how big or small.

Gl to you both and if there's anything you don't understand or have questions that aren't answered in your research, you know where we are 😉

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Do not dig up your t ! Your t will not appreciate it at all, especially if they are mid moult and you collapse their home ontop of them! Just trust your t they have been T'ing longer then humans have been about, they know what they are doing. Just keep the water dish full, wait and trust your t 😊

I suggest you do some research, a t like chilobrachys dyscolus are not to be trifled with. Use our search bar and read all you find, watch Tom's big spiders & Daves little beasties vids on this sp, and between the 3 it should give you a better view of what to expect from a tarantula like chilobrachys dyscolus, no matter how big or small.

Gl to you both and if there's anything you don't understand or have questions that aren't answered in your research, you know where we are 😉
Good advice here ... Check out Davids Little Beasties Youtube Channel.
Yes these are very fast and can be defensive with medically significant venom.
Gotta Like Old World T's, But Must Respect They're Territory.
Make sure you use long tongs, never reach into the enclosure with your hands.

Last edited:

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
Good advice here ... Check out Davids Little Beasties Youtube Channel.
Yes these are very fast and can be defensive with medically significant venom.
I just got the feeling if op is asking how to tell the t has moulted and using the common name that this is either their first fossorial ow t, first t all together or they did no research before obtaining the sp and any of the above options rang alarm bells in my head and I felt I needed to say something. But some people retain more with a visual display rather then reading info and both of those channels are my go to for new keepers 😊

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Maybe water the front of the burrow on occasion don’t do the back .
I just got the feeling if op is asking how to tell the t has moulted and using the common name that this is either their first fossorial ow t, first t all together or they did no research before obtaining the sp and any of the above options rang alarm bells in my head and I felt I needed to say something. But some people retain more with a visual display rather then reading info and both of those channels are my go to for new keepers 😊
keeping a pet hole hydrated is about only thing I worry about. And that’s when it’s sealed off .

Pcutler38

Arachnopeon
I'm somewhat a new keeper. I had 12 ts and 1 deathstalker scorpion about a year or so ago but had to give them up where I lived. So I started back at 0 just last year. So far I have a gbb, carabena vers, aviculara aviculara 3 asian fawns, kaeng krachen, discolus blue, giant white knee, nhandu chromatus, salmon pink birdeater, and 2 others I can't remember off the top my head.

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
keeping a pet hole hydrated is about only thing I worry about. And that’s when it’s sealed off .
Yes that's part of the worry but if op didn't know about not digging a fossorial t up I worry about interactions like rehousing, is op prepared for a fast t with attitude if you push your luck by idk digging the t up.
I just think any t should be researched before getting it , I researched for a year before getting my first t and I researched for a year before I took the plunge into ow, and I am not saying everyone should take that long, but I do think atleast a few days of research is needed and even a small glance into this sp would tell op they burrow and are extremely shy and reclusive as slings/juvenile so there is no need to worry their little one is just doing what floofer is ment to.

I'm somewhat a new keeper. I had 12 ts and 1 deathstalker scorpion about a year or so ago but had to give them up where I lived. So I started back at 0 just last year. So far I have a gbb, carabena vers, aviculara aviculara 3 asian fawns, kaeng krachen, discolus blue, giant white knee, nhandu chromatus, salmon pink birdeater, and 2 others I can't remember off the top my head.
You have a few chilobrachys then, so you should know your dyscolus is just doing what chilobrachys do and chilling in the burrow. Don't worry you'll see those legs when your floofer is ready, please check out the channels on YouTube suggested and do some research to reassure yourself and so you know what to expect from your t's. N don't worry I started 3 years ago and currently sit at 93 tarantulas, we all start somewhere 🤷🏻‍♀️

Pcutler38

Arachnopeon
To saying the common name it's just easier to spell it. I'm kinda in the middle of being a beginner/ intermediate keeper

You have a few chilobrachys then, so you should know your dyscolus is just doing what chilobrachys do and chilling in the burrow. Don't worry you'll see those legs when your floofer is ready, please check out the channels on YouTube suggested and do some research to reassure yourself and so you know what to expect from your t's. N don't worry I started 3 years ago and currently sit at 93 tarantulas, we all start somewhere 🤷🏻‍♀️
Sorry pressed thumbs down. Wrong button. Fat fingers..lol

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
To saying the common name it's just easier to spell it. I'm kinda in the middle of being a beginner/ intermediate keeper
I have always used the proper names and have been keeping 3 years I don't even know most common names I have to look them up 🤣

Sorry pressed thumbs down. Wrong button. Fat fingers..lol
It's fine if you click it again it will go away my phone doesn't like to let me hit the right icon either

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Perfect example of being patient... Just noticed legs sticking out of Cyriopagopus Lividus's (Cobalt Blue) Enclosure... Haven't seen it for a month and a half til now.
I will continue to give it more time to harden up etc.
Once it starts coming completely out and hunting and looks good, this could be several days. Then feeding. Meantime Water.

Last edited:

Pcutler38

Arachnopeon
Maybe water the front of the burrow on occasion don’t do the back .

About that with watering.... how much should I water it?? I have this pulpet I use and a spray bottle I'll put a good layer of water all over its enclosure. Aren't they humidity dependent?

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter +
Don't use a spray bottle, it only spikes the humidity and the pressure off the spray often makes the t's bolt. The pipette is enough use it to force water down the side of the viv not near your t's burrow. The water should spread out through the sub and give you the humidity you need, when you see the dark line on the side of the sub disappearing do it again. @l4nsky has an excellent thread on keeping humidity dependent sp but i am rubbish and dont know how to link the thread 🤣 (i am rubbish with technology of any kind 😆)

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
It’ll probably kick the molt out, you could set up a camera or try to catch it at night, esp with a red light

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
About that with watering.... how much should I water it?? I have this pulpet I use and a spray bottle I'll put a good layer of water all over its enclosure. Aren't they humidity dependent?
I just water the substrate and repeat when it dries .