vesicolor question

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know that vesicolors make aboreal burrows for obvious reasons but what exactly is it used for and could it be a sign of molt.

I ask if it could be the sign of a molt because my vesicolor has sealed its self in. the first time i seen my versicolor do this the sealed web was just the size of the spider then as the days went by ( like two days or so) the burrow has moved closer and closer to the top of the enclosure.

now i say this could be the sign of an impending molt because i have crickets in there but they cant reach him because they can only climb so high.

could my versicolor had made this long aboreal burrow to protect his self against the crickets for an upcoming molt? can an aboreal tarantula make a web strong enough to safetly molt inside of so it doesnt have to go to the ground to do this? :confused: :?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes they will often molt in that tube they make....... sealing themselves in proberly increases humidity a bit.... and keeps unwanted critters from bothering her...... just like with NW species they flick off all their hairs when they are making a molt mat so ward off pests that might bug them when they are molting.
And sometimes they just seal them selves in to be left alone and will still come out at night and wander around a bit. But if she is well fed I am betting a molt is coming soon.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea I keep about 2 -3 small crickets at the bottom of the enclosure because they can only climb a few inches off the ground.

so my vesicolor can come down at random and grab a mid night snack.

thanks for a response

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do not leave crickets in with your spider. Whatever is not eaten in a 24-48 hour period should be immediately removed from the housing. You can try offering food again in a week or two if the tarantula refuses food. Leaving crickets in the container will stress your T. Make sure you do not feed your T for 1-2 weeks after a molt so that its body can properly harden... I always keep a full wide, shallow waterdish in with my versicolor.

Sorry my post is so to the point, I worked for 14 hours today :(

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do not leave crickets in with your spider. Whatever is not eaten in a 24-48 hour period should be immediately removed from the housing. You can try offering food again in a week or two if the tarantula refuses food. Leaving crickets in the container will stress your T. Make sure you do not feed your T for 1-2 weeks after a molt so that its body can properly harden... I always keep a full wide, shallow waterdish in with my versicolor.

Sorry my post is so to the point, I worked for 14 hours today :(
its ok CTsoth when a person is right they are right no reason to argue with facts.

VxXDJXxV

Arachnopeon
i recently got a vesicolor and im prety sure its about to molt (because the bald spot turned black) she has an aboral burrow in the top corner of the cage too. i was just woundering the samething about where it will end up molting (on the ground or in the burrow)

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have never seen my versicolor molt, and it has molted on me when I didn't even know it was in premolt in the past :0. Crazy spiderlings. I am fairly confident that it molts inside of its tube web though.