Very very confused...

Lindsay

Arachnopeon
A couple of months ago I acquired a couple of new tarantulas from someone. One of those is currently an unknown species ...

I was told by the previous owner that it is a Giant Striped Knee but when I looked up the common name in google I got a lot of different answers for the Latin name. If this was just a random addition to my collection then I wouldn't be so frantic to find the answers, but I am in the process of opening the first reptile zoo in Nova Scotia, Canada and this is one of the spiders that I am putting on display and I need to include some informational signage along with the display. It is impossible for me to do so without proper identification.

I have tried posting a photo in the ID forum on here but have received very little response in the last couple of months. So far I have been told that it may be a Homoeomma sp. "Blue" or a Thrixopelma lagunas sp. n, but neither one of those were a positive ID.

If someone can figure this out for me as soon as possible then it would be greatly appreciated.

The flash on the camera makes it a little bit difficult to see the true colors. To me it seems very dark (almost black) but with a flash or a light directly on it, it looks somewhat bluish in tint...
Thank you.

Attachments

Lindsay

Arachnopeon

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Lindsay,

I'm quite certain it is the spider most frequently sold as Homoeomma sp. "blue". Slings were also sold in large quantities as Euathlus pulcherrimaklaasi about 5 years ago. Then dealers switched to selling the "blue femured" spider as E. pulcherrimaklaasi (which is also likely incorrect, lol).

My opinion is that this spider belongs to neither of the above mentioned genera, but I would continue to call it Homoeomma sp. "blue" for now.

Take care,
Eric

PS. I haven't seen the Thrixopelma lagunas paper, so no comment there.