Very quick update on the Poecilotheria Subfusca Communal

Phases

Arachnoknight
Hey all! Just an update, I've made several threads updating these guys over there last year, for example:

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/update-on-poecilotheria-subfusca-communal.302070/#post-2732396

Anyway, RARELY do I get to actually see and count all 6 clearly so when it happens, I get excited. Last night we did! So, just wanted to show how big they are getting. The largest that I could measure was 5.25" :)

Enjoy! My boy wanted to be the one to show them, he is going to start being involved again :D Two rehouse videos were recorded today with him so, yay!

I love them! They will live in this tank until they are all max size, then, if still going well - I have a plan for their final home!​

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The word "communal" is greatly misused in situations like this... by definition, the members of a commune share possessions/food/space and interact with/help/rely on each other.

What I see in this video is a group of spiders that are, for whatever reason, tolerating the presence of each other. Maybe in the wild, individuals of this species live in close proximity to each other? Maybe there are enough resources to placate them into tolerance?

I have native spiders on my front porch... Latrodectus with Holocnemus (cellar spiders) in very close proximity to each other... mere inches. I would never call them communal, though.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
What I see in this video is a group of spiders that are, for whatever reason, tolerating the presence of each other. Maybe in the wild, individuals of this species live in close proximity to each other?
Poecilotheria species have never been observed living close to each other in the wild. What has been seen is that one spider will live in a tree, alone. There have actually been no tarantula species found to be living communally in the wild, even the M. balfouri which is the only one that has (as far as we know) more successful than unsuccessful communals.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Poecilotheria species have never been observed living close to each other in the wild. What has been seen is that one spider will live in a tree, alone. There have actually been no tarantula species found to be living communally in the wild, even the M. balfouri which is the only one that has (as far as we know) more successful than unsuccessful communals.
And there you have it!

I honestly don't understand this attempt at making things communal...

Phases

Arachnoknight
Lol.. oh AB... some things never change..

If anyone wants to keep up with them or hit me up later, you know where to find me!

Cheers!

buzz182

Arachnosquire
Lol.. oh AB... some things never change..

If anyone wants to keep up with them or hit me up later, you know where to find me!

Cheers!
On the topic of communuals I think there is some good reasoning behind it.

That said I am glad they are all alive and well and hope they continue to do so. It is fascinating to watch. Please continue with updates.

Last edited:

buzz182

Arachnosquire
Another owner throwing Ts together that are not found living together in nature. The circus never stops.

What is it?
I think there is good reasoning behind the response OP receives when discussing his communual. The reasoning being that T's are not communual animals.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Another owner throwing Ts together that are not found living together in nature. The circus never stops.
Have you explored all of nature, Viper? I don't know about your circus but mine over here is epic. The six are doing great, and are rather large. They have done precisely what I have encouraged in each including this tank, and are living rather harmoniously - drinking together from the water dish even. I may do an update video soon.

That is, if I'm not jinxing myself right now! :D I realize the risk. It is very hard work keeping the conditions in a way that doesn't make me nervous. For example, I have two now that I am feeding a little extra to help get them up to comparable size the largest two.

Their final home will be, if I get it the way I want, epic. It will be the most glorious circus in the center of my home - and you can continue to keep the way you please, as well. :)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The six are doing great, and are rather large. They have done precisely what I have encouraged in each including this tank, and are living rather harmoniously - drinking together from the water dish even. I may do an update video soon.
Very cool, great results so far.
Their final home will be, if I get it the way I want, epic. It will be the most glorious circus in the center of my home - and you can continue to keep the way you please, as well. :)
Now this is when things may take a problematic turn, at their current sizes, when rehoused again...they will probably want to establish individual territories, they very likely would have dispersed at this point if they weren't enclosed together. There's safety in numbers when small no doubt, but none of these poecilotheria species live in groups as adults.

Most losses occur at this size range, just something to keep in mind. You can always still separate and count your blessings...Ill be tuned in for an update either way. ;)

Phases

Arachnoknight
Very cool, great results so far.

Now this is when things may take a problematic turn, at their current sizes, when rehoused again...they will probably want to establish individual territories, they very likely would have dispersed at this point if they weren't enclosed together. There's safety in numbers when small no doubt, but none of these poecilotheria species live in groups as adults.

Most losses occur at this size range, just something to keep in mind. You can always still separate and count your blessings...Ill be tuned in for an update either way. ;)
Yea I am very concerned about it tbh. Plus, the pokie ban that just hit also makes me want to separate.. I'm just going to have to make a decision and go for it!

But, I'm going to let them all reach full size first. Then, well... I have a plan visualized but, well just see if it goes as smoothly as I hope, should I keep them together..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Have you explored all of nature, Viper?
My friend and his friends have.:D

My friend is a biologist, he's been studying Ts for decades. His friends are leading arachnologists from all over the world. I asked him if any T has been observed as communal. His answer was "NO". I also specifically asked about Poki's too, as many owners are crazy enough to keep them together.

My friend's response on them, "they live a solitary life....." I "suspect" he knows far more than any of us put together considering he's observed them many times in the wild.

Unlike some people on forums, I have access to world experts. As a result, I trust experts opinions, who have decades of experience-- all of them with more experience than this entire forum put together in terms of scientific knowledge, OVER any person's observations regarding CAPTIVE animals.

Remember, it's their PASSION and CAREER to know more than you and I. Good luck w/your circus.:rolleyes:

I realize the risk.
True communal animals-- very little risk, except in unusual circumstances.

Ts- Plenty of risk.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Cool!! They also don't live in tanks and have their poop cleaned for them in the wild either. ;)

I will have fun with my circus, it's been loads of fun thus far!! :) I have a swimming tarantula that eats fish, a 100+ Cyclocosmia truncata spiderling farm, a 6 pokie non-communal, a hopefully mom to be T or two, and 50 different species of awesomeness.

I love this hobby!

I'll let ya'll know when I post an update!

Minty

@londontarantulas
The best thing about the video is a young boy having an interest in nature.

Personally, communals aren’t something I’ll ever try.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Cool!! They also don't live in tanks and have their poop cleaned for them in the wild either. ;)

I will have fun with my circus, it's been loads of fun thus far!! :) I have a swimming tarantula that eats fish, a 100+ Cyclocosmia truncata spiderling farm, a 6 pokie non-communal, a hopefully mom to be T or two, and 50 different species of awesomeness.

I love this hobby!

I'll let ya'll know when I post an update!
Please oh please post pictures of your cyclocosmia! I’ve wanted one (or 100) for a long time.