Very Potent Chemical around T

PolarisTR

Arachnopeon
Joined
Feb 15, 2016
Messages
33
Hi,

I've got some mould in my room and I normally spray it with this stuff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HG-1860501...F8&qid=1484857998&sr=8-1&keywords=mould+spray

It's like a super concentrated chlorine and works wonders but it's really heavy on the lungs(lasts about 2 days in terms of smell and you need a gas mask to apply the stuff).

I was thinking, would this harm my T? I can't move her to another room else since everywhere is about 6 degrees C.

Has anyone else had experience with this?
 

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Joined
Sep 24, 2015
Messages
4,584
I would not trust that whatsoever.
I barely trust myself with Cologne in my spider room.
 
Last edited:

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Joined
Feb 7, 2010
Messages
341
If it's "hard" on your lungs, I wouldn't let it anywhere near your tarantulas.
Cigarette smoke is relatively easy on the lungs and that crap is deadly. The fact that you need a gas mask to apply it should tell you plenty.
 

cold blood

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 19, 2014
Messages
11,864
Man, just pick out mold with a tweezers.

If its a consistent issue, you need to re-evaluate your husbandry and decrease moisture and increase ventilation.

I bet that spray would take about 3 minutes to kill an invert.
 

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Active Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2014
Messages
5,689
In the room where someone keeps T's or other arachnids/inverts such products needs to be banned, period u_u
 

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Jun 27, 2010
Messages
2,059
Man, just pick out mold with a tweezers.

If its a consistent issue, you need to re-evaluate your husbandry and decrease moisture and increase ventilation.

I bet that spray would take about 3 minutes to kill an invert.
I don't think he's talking about mold in the tarantula enclosure - it's elsewhere in the room.

(Not that it makes the use of toxic cleaners much better - still far too close to the tarantula for safety!)
 

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Joined
Jun 12, 2016
Messages
556
A human can take much harsher conditions than most animals including tarantulas. Your T's will die. Think of your T's like canaries kept in the mines long ago. If the canary died, it was time to evacuate the mine.
 

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joined
Jun 27, 2010
Messages
2,059
Hi,

I've got some mould in my room and I normally spray it with this stuff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HG-1860501...F8&qid=1484857998&sr=8-1&keywords=mould+spray

It's like a super concentrated chlorine and works wonders but it's really heavy on the lungs(lasts about 2 days in terms of smell and you need a gas mask to apply the stuff).

I was thinking, would this harm my T? I can't move her to another room else since everywhere is about 6 degrees C.

Has anyone else had experience with this?
As everyone else has already said, DO NOT spray a heavy bleach solution around your tarantula.

You can try using white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, or a paste of baking soda and water to remove (or at least reduce) the mold without producing toxic fumes. Also, try to dry out the area where the mold is growing with a fan or space heater or even towels if there's standing water such as from condensation on a window/in the window sill. These should at least mitigate the problem even if they don't get rid of it altogether.

If you absolutely must use the bleach solution to get rid of the mold, wait to break out the "big guns" until the weather has warmed up sufficiently to get your tarantula out of the room/house until all the fumes have dissipated.
 

cold blood

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 19, 2014
Messages
11,864
I don't think he's talking about mold in the tarantula enclosure - it's elsewhere in the room.

(Not that it makes the use of toxic cleaners much better - still far too close to the tarantula for safety!)
Ahhh, that makes sense.
 

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Joined
Feb 22, 2013
Messages
3,290
Fun fact: In entomology, chlorine is often used to kill invertebrates cleanly to preserve a specimen for display. It interferes with both their oxygen transfer and neuroreceptors, according to my old professor.

I used a cotton ball soaked in chlorine and a jar to kill caught invertebrates. They would die within ten seconds of being enclosed in the jar.
 

BorisTheSpider

Overly Complicated
Old Timer
Joined
May 26, 2009
Messages
489
safety warning.PNG

I took this off the product page . I would recommend you not go near it nor let it near you Ts .

mold killer.PNG

Took this off another page . Chemicals are bad , m'kay .
 
Last edited:

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Joined
Sep 30, 2016
Messages
326
Is it not possible to move your T's elseware until the mold treatment has been complete? After a few days or so of letting the treated room air out I would think its fine.
 

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Joined
Sep 16, 2015
Messages
1,480
Well, you titled the thread "Very Potent Chemical"... so yes. It's a very potent chemical.
 
Top