Versicolor sling feeding schedule?

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Umm... stupid question... how do you know that a pampho is eating too much? I've got my first one now, a sling, so I'm not immediately concerned, but I would hate to explode the poor thing when it grows up.
I have, and have had a number Pampho species, at all ages. I've never come close to overfeeding them. I think the issue with obese abdomens (well beyond normal) is the greater risk from injury. That part has a soft exoskeleton and when distended is even thinner. I've never seen or heard of a tarantula die from overeating, but no doubt there are fatal injuries to fat ones that have fallen, even a short distance. Have people assumed that's what killed the spider? The only time an adult T should be that fat is a female producing eggs.

cold blood

Staff member
I have, and have had a number Pampho species, at all ages. I've never come close to overfeeding them. I think the issue with obese abdomens (well beyond normal) is the greater risk from injury. That part has a soft exoskeleton and when distended is even thinner. I've never seen or heard of a tarantula die from overeating, but no doubt there are fatal injuries to fat ones that have fallen, even a short distance. Have people assumed that's what killed the spider? The only time an adult T should be that fat is a female producing eggs.

Agreed. Its really not too difficult to look at a t and see when its getting fat. When it does, slow the feeding way down and eventually stop the feeding and await a molt.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Agreed. Its really not too difficult to look at a t and see when its getting fat. When it does, slow the feeding way down and eventually stop the feeding and await a molt.
Real shame they do not have armor like scorpions, or Ts would actually have a chance vs killer evil Pedes.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Definitely me [emoji14]

Yeah that's what I give her.
+1 Thats a lot for a sling He was wondering if you ate the extras the spider couldnt, only a few dubia or crickets or appropriate size are enough every week. Give your spider a fat one, and feed it again in 4-7 days.:biggrin::coffee:1 fat dubia is enough for a week, for any T under 6".

Methal

Arachnosquire
All this power feeding crap comes from my original herp hobby. Slings> feed as often as they will eat! They will get full, they will stop eating on their own. SHEESH. Why do people insist upon promoting Nazi death camp feeding regimes!??????

Especially when there is absolutely ZERO studies on there predation habits in the wild!!
This kind of thing bugs me. There are several things wrong here.

1) How does a sling tell if it is full? in which part of its brain is this information stored, understood, etc.

2) Studies have been done that suggest over feeding is harmful to the development of the organs of slings. There is such a thing as an obese spider.

3) spiders are not people. Stop comparing them to people. its outrageous. What you consider "nazi death camp feeding" could be completely normal, or even heavy feeding. Stop with this stupid comparing to people <edit>. There is no damn link between your emotions and the spiders well being.

4) There ARE studies about the "predation habits in the wild" go read a book.

5) some aquarium fish will literally eat themselves to death, over eating and causing internal hemorrhaging. Whos to say a sling wont do that same thing? I see no reason to think otherwise, unless I see a tarantula throw up due to over eating, I will assume it is possible and likely. One quick move, startled spider and something pushed to the breaking point from over feeding bursts. = Dead sling.

The best solution is to feed them as much as they would need to live and mature to adulthood. Since we do not always have that info, instead of assuming that the spider knows, look at what they look like in the wild, and mimic that. Nature has kept them alive and thriving for millions of years, i'd sooner copy that as best I can, than assume i know better.

---------- Post added 12-15-2014 at 02:05 PM ----------

You or the spider?
I laughed so hard at this my co-workers all looked at me odd.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
A sling is in a constant state of growth, they stop feeding when they get ready to molt, simple as that. Its not that they feel full, its that they reach a point where the underlying exoskeleton is complete and the spider needs to shed.

Comparing t's and fish is quite a stretch of the imagination, they are exceptionally different creatures.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
A sling is in a constant state of growth, they stop feeding when they get ready to molt, simple as that. Its not that they feel full, its that they reach a point where the underlying exoskeleton is complete and the spider needs to shed.

Comparing t's and fish is quite a stretch of the imagination, they are exceptionally different creatures.

Right, fish aren't molting like spiders, they don't need a big reserve for a periodic growth spurt.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This kind of thing bugs me. There are several things wrong here.

1) How does a sling tell if it is full?
When it stops eating. I think I'll win the Nobel Prize for that one, and I didn't have to count to five for that!

---------- Post added 12-15-2014 at 03:47 PM ----------

And what would you know about fish, Mr. Fish Expert heheh. Are you sure they aren't almost identical? They both eat food! Dude, empty your messages!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They should make a web tube. Feet out means interested, most of or all of the body out means FEED ME!
You forgot the "jump at tong the moment it comes close = ravenous!" :D My larged mystery girl does that if I'm not careful. She surprised me twice by trying to pounce me while refilling the waterdish :D