Versicolor Injury

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was cleaning out prey remains from my spiderling vials today and I was getting ready to do my A. versicolor's vial next. I like these guys but I can't wait to get them big enough for something larger because they always make a break for it and are about impossible to get back into the vial. Today one of them was rampaging on my leg as I tried to herd it back into its vial when it bolted up my hand and then leapt onto the floor from a height of about 6 inches. Something happened on landing because I discovered it was now moving around with leg II on the right side held up in the air the way you might hold a finger out after jamming it awkwardly catching a hard-thrown basketball or some such. The sling seems otherwise fine, and I added a tiny little bit of water to the substrate in case it needed to replenish lost fluids (which is another thing I'm learning to hate about tiny little vials, either the ventilation is so overdone that any added moisture is irrelevant or the moisture added is so much that the ventilation is irrelevant) but I'm worried about hemolymph loss. Is it safe to assume that if the damage is that serious the spider will toss the leg? It also didn't eat this week which makes me worried that the spider is in pre-molt and has damaged the developing exoskeleton such that when it tries to molt it will die. Anyone had anything similar happen?

Adrian

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wow thats a sad tought

I have never had this happen but. That's really sad
I feel afraid now because I also have two versicolors slings
and I don't want to loose them. I hope everything goes well for your Avic versicolor. hopefully it wont pass away:( :(

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yes, i also wish you luck with it. don't fret, perhaps it'll be okay. just be gentle with it after it hardens its exoskeleton and has its fangs black. if it has trouble feeding, crushing/rolling crickets should help meet its needs.

good luck and keep us updated! (hug)

Midwest Art

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Similar thing happened to me last month. I opened a vial, didn't notice the Crypisidromus sp. on the top of the vial and it fell about 3 feet. It landed hard and was leaning towards one side when I put it into a new environment. It burrowed later that night and is doing fine now. Burst abdomen is a major problem, lost/damaged limbs can be regenerated.

N-Joy
Art

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i've heard that even burst abdomens can be quickly repaired with a certain type of superglue. :/

i'd be reluctant to use that but honestly far, FAR more reluctant to watch my T die while i stand by and do nothing.

okay, here in the TKG it suggests triple-strength nail hardener, or New Skin.

advises caution with anything that uses organic solvents...(obviously) but that also they are flammable and the fumes may harm/kill the T you're trying to save.

there's actually a lot of advice in this section so i'd really purchase the book. it's amazing the wealth of information in here, definitely THE best T book buy! :D