Versicolor grounded

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One of my versicolors is just sitting on the floor of their enclosure not moving at all. However it is really dark dark blue. Talken (sp) told me it was a molting sign from this dark color but he isnt moving at all not even when i gently touched his abdomen. is alive going through the molt stage on the floor of the enclosure or is he dead?.....I'm going to keep him in there until I get a few responseses. I also may wait all day just to see if anything happens but opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

:confused: :? :confused: :?

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sometimes they molt upright, so that is what it could be doing. has it made a molting mat? or is it in a death curl?

whatever you do LEAVE IT ALONE. touching it while it tries to molt can kill a sling - especially if it's such a fragile thing as a versicolor. make sure it has access to water/moisten the substrate and wait. sorry, but that is all you can do. try not to disturb it at all, and maybe darken the room/put a blanket over the container.

if it's not molting, sitting on the ground and not moving sounds like sudden avic death to me. sometimes it happens, but you can avoid most losses by offering avics loads to drink and loads of ventilation.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sometimes they molt upright, so that is what it could be doing. has it made a molting mat? or is it in a death curl?

whatever you do LEAVE IT ALONE. touching it while it tries to molt can kill a sling - especially if it's such a fragile thing as a versicolor. make sure it has access to water/moisten the substrate and wait. sorry, but that is all you can do. try not to disturb it at all, and maybe darken the room/put a blanket over the container.

if it's not molting, sitting on the ground and not moving sounds like sudden avic death to me. sometimes it happens, but you can avoid most losses by offering avics loads to drink and loads of ventilation.
It didn't make a molting mat at all. And its not even in a death curl, however do aboreals even do death curls? Its not really a sling its actually between 1-3" with its lovely dark and light blue colors. But then again some AB members consider a tarantula to be a sling even when it has a lot of color.

timwaters2007

Arachnopeon
My a.avic has been spending alot of its time on the floor lately, mine only do this if they are looking for food or looking for somewhere to molt. You should be fine as long as the spider looks quite plump and you are keeping its conditions right it should be ok.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It just crawled down to the floor and died? Do you have any guess as to why? Where there enough ventilation holes?
I have had a few die like that for seemingly no reason. It's frustrating. Don't give up!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
my metallica made a hammock that drapes form about 3" up the plant down to the floor and back up to the glass and tends to stay there. it molted and then stayes there still

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It just crawled down to the floor and died? Do you have any guess as to why? Where there enough ventilation holes?
I have had a few die like that for seemingly no reason. It's frustrating. Don't give up!

it didnt crawl down there today it was down there around the same time yesterday to so i think it crawled down there yesterday at the same time today maybe earlier in the morning is my guess. I have no idea why it would die because i keep another versicolor around the same size in the exact same kind of set up to the T sort of speak. i had 16 holes in its enclosure the same # of holes in the versicolor I have that is still alive and doing well actually molted recently.

I'm not going to give up but you are right its frustrating. However, what I'm going to do is once my versicolor that I still have reaches breeding size I'm going to find a mate for him / her and just breed em

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
16 holes might not be enough. I know avics need lots of ventilation. I have close to 100 holes in my a.avic slings deli cup.