Versicolor...chewing decor? Wtf?

magicmed

Arachnobaron
20160820_140518.jpg

OK so apparently my versicolor has taken to destroying it's water dish stick, I've no idea how it's doing it, or why, I figured one of you may be able to shed some light on it. Is it a possible indication my husbandry could be off? The yellow seen in the picture is actually the inner foam of the fake stick. I don't keep crickets in there long so I doubt it's a cricket, unless I just didn't notice a couple going to town before being eaten.

Any advice is appreciated, I'm worried it will break a fang doing that, both fangs look fine right now

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Is there any leftover material below the stick? A tarantula definitely cannot ingest that, but I feel as if a cricket could at least stomach it. That looks like cricket activity to me.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
They are sometimes destructive little things.

The stories I have seen over the years pertaining to Tarantulas and their water dishes are nothing short of remarkable in some instances!

People on the boards have had their Tarantulas chew right through the lids of their enclosures. I have double layered lids on mine in the (extremely rare) event that one started doing that it would be basically impossible for it to get out. I would not be afraid but I have invertebrate hating house mates that would start the third world war if they ever found that one of my collection escaped =/

For you though, I would not be concerned about the fangs so much as if it destroys the water dish you will need a new one !

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is there any leftover material below the stick? A tarantula definitely cannot ingest that, but I feel as if a cricket could at least stomach it. That looks like cricket activity to me.
Agreed. I know from other T keepers that crickets will chew through the ExoTerra false backing they provide in their tanks.

@magicmed just an FYI, using acronyms or characters in place of swearing is a TOS violation that could get you points against your account. Plus, we do have children on the forum at times, family friendly you know. Disneyworld not Dirtworld

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Agreed. I know from other T keepers that crickets will chew through the ExoTerra false backing they provide in their tanks.
Yeah, crickets love to chew... on a few of my Juvie enclosures they chewed thru the screen so I've had to double it so if they chew thru one there's another in their way...

image.jpeg
I replaced the black mesh (which the crickets have entirely eaten away above) with metal screen... They cannot chew thru that.

Now I double all my screens with an extra layer of metal screen... Don't want an h mac sling getting out due to those bitey little buggers lol

magicmed

Arachnobaron

@magicmed just an FYI, using acronyms or characters in place of swearing is a TOS violation that could get you points against your account. Plus, we do have children on the forum at times, family friendly you know. Disneyworld not Dirtworld
Sorry you're right, my bad bud was just excited trying to figure it out

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've found somewhat the same thing happen to my fake vines in my crested gecko viv. It usually occurs at a bend where it likes to poop alot. I do not feed it crickets or dubias in it's viv.

Maybe the bend and the poop weakens the outer layer and water seeps in causing it to expand a little.
*shrugs*
Just a theory.

Octagon

Arachnoperson
Yeah, crickets love to chew... on a few of my Juvie enclosures they chewed thru the screen so I've had to double it so if they chew thru one there's another in their way...

View attachment 218388
I replaced the black mesh (which the crickets have entirely eaten away above) with metal screen... They cannot chew thru that.

Now I double all my screens with an extra layer of metal screen... Don't want an h mac sling getting out due to those bitey little buggers lol
Yikes. Seeing your and magicmed's pics above should be mandatory for anyone out there who might ever question the importance of removing uneaten crickets from a T's enclosure if there is even the remotist possibility of premoult. Or anytime, for that matter. I did not realize they were quite this destructive.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
In all my years of feeding crickets - I have never seen one do any type of damage. Not in the tarantula's enclosure or their own. They don't even chew the egg cartons. I would never have suspected crickets... that's very interesting. And this really sucks too because that dish setup is awesome.
All the more reason to dislike crickets.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
Crickets are little devils. I once picked up a couple dozen but due to my schedule that week couldn't feed them well overnight like I usually do so went straight to feeding them off as soon as I got home. While I was feeding them off one of the crickets molted...it was eaten alive before it had been able to fully emerge from its skin.

Of course, that is also just saying something in regards to how the box store I got them from must keep them. So glad my roach colonies are at a point where I don't have to make runs for crickets anymore unless I am in the mood for mixing things up.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Ts are very good at being destructive, here is a photo from a Facebook group that I am in.

Someone's curly hair tarantula did this then escaped.

Sana

Arachnoprince
Maybe your tarantula just doesn't like the decoration. I have had a number of tarantulas rearrange their enclosures for no apparent reason including gnawing on sticks.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've seen multiple reports of tarantulas shredding exoterra backgrounds, vents made of metal screen, even chewing through acrylic.
My A geniculata has shredded every plastic plant I've ever put in her enclosure. I keep giving her new ones to give her something to do.
P irminia and P rufilata like to tear chunks out of their cork bark.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Ts are very good at being destructive, here is a photo from a Facebook group that I am in.

Someone's curly hair tarantula did this then escaped.

That is windows screen wire which is made with very tiny wire. It'll barely keep out flies and shouldn't be used for tarantulas.