Versicolor behavior

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My 1.25" in versicolor ate a large cricket about 5 days ago and I tryed to feed it the other day and it declined it. I just got the the T so I dont know if it is going into premolt or not. I did accidently destroy some of its webbing when I was cleaning out leftover cricket and since then it has been hanging out towards the bottum of the enclosure. It seems that it is turning darker in color over its whole body. I feel that my ventilation is pretty good and I mist the inside everyday. Is there a reason why this arboreal is hanging out on the bottom? I hasnt webbed anything in awhile either.Any comments would be helpful

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No mas agua

Hi,
I would think that misting the versi on a daily basis is not necessary. I usually offer my young versi's water once a week. Just something to think about
Jon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm not saying to do this but, the less i worry about my T's the happier they seem. as long as they have regular food(i never go more than 2 weeks without feeding). if i go too long without feeding, they ley me know. they'll come out of their burrows.

take my 3.5" a. avic for example, at one point it webbed over and onto its water dish, completely covering it. so i didn't put water in the dish just misted twice a week(a good 5-6 sprays into the tank). that lasted about 2 1/2 months. by then she had bulldozed some substrate far enough that i could grab the water dish with tweezers without really disturbing her web.

i read posts here often, people freaking out about their T's or being OCD about them. it makes me laff. all that worring and feeding and cleaning annoys them. and thats when they GET you! {D

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sound like it's in premolt and doesn't feel like doing much. Don't worry. It'll snap out of it and spin a little something for its molt. Try your best not to destroy any more webbing to minimize any stress.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is most likely in premoult, but that shouldn't go on for to long it its isn't any bigger than you say. The little ones moult without as much premoult time and take less time to dry when they are done.

ctsoth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would not so much worry about how long it has been since your last feeding... I personally don't bother keeping track of when I feed my Ts, I just watch their abdomens and keep them at a healthy proportional size... I do not see the point in fattening up my Ts so they can molt fast and be even more prone to injury in the event of a fall....

I rarely mist my Versicolor enclosure, perhaps one a week and I provide a wide shallow water dish... My Versi is also about 1.5-2 inch legspan. My versi will come down to the bottom of the cage to drink when it wants to, in fact after I placed the dish in I observed it drinking from it in about 5-10 minutes. [ I had rehoused it a day or two before so it went without a water supply for a short while.]

Basically, just make sure your spider has proper access to water and just keep an eye on its abdomen size...