Vermiculite

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I posted in the substrate poll, but really have a specific question about using vermiculite. I bought some to mix with coco substrate but there are warning labels on the package of vermiculite not to inhale or breath, rinse your eyes if it gets in your eyes.....breathing can cause respiratory problems....did I mess up and buy the wrong stuff or is that what you use and how do you consider it safe? I don't want to mix it in until I get some feedback. This is what I bought at Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-G...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The guys review says he uses it for T's and scorpions....I just don't get how it can be safe?

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have used it for years. I don't even mix it with anything. This stuff holds moisture great you won't be dissappointed. Don't be afraid to add water to it cause it will soak it up. Also with the breathing issue I would just be sure not to breath it in when your dumping it in the tank. Then wet it down and you will have no issue.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Singapore, I was thinking more of the T's breathing it, not me....how can it be safe for them...

Singapore_Blue1

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok well I still stick by what I said..They will be fine on that substrate. :) I have had my whole collection on that stuff for years and I highly reccommend it. I have had no issues with my T's with it either. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kathy, It will be fine. just moisten it before you go dumping it into the tank.

There was an issue with vermiculite a while back(years ago) because it had asbestos in it.

I am almost 100% positive though the stuff today is safe! besides the dust(which is never good to inhale).

Also, no, your tarantulas will not "breath" in the dust. there booklungs are like microfiber filters.;)

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use it also. You won't have any problems.
and like singapore_blue1 said don't be afraid to dump
the water in. It will absorb it.

moose

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are two kinds of vermiculite, horticultural and... the other kind used for industrial applications. You want the horticultural variety. If you're not getting it from the potting soil section then you're getting the wrong stuff.

I think the inhalation risk is because it's a dry, dusty product that expands and cakes up when it contacts moisture. You don't want that in your mucous membranes. Once it's been mixed into substrate and water added it won't present this risk anymore. Just use a dust mask when you're working with dry product and you should be fine.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks everyone, I will go ahead and use it, yes I got it in the plant section. Moose, I was reading your care sheet on Greg's site, very informative for my new T I'm getting! :)