Ventral sexing...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
... is quite unreliable.

I bought a subadult H. gigas back in May, and it recently molted a few weeks ago. Ventral sexing at the time of purchase looked pretty darn close to a female to my eyes. Well, it finally brought out its exuvia, which meant that I was finally going to be able to sex it. When I grabbed the exuvia, I got a threat posture. No need to sex it any more, I have a mature male. :banghead:

Let this be a moral; ventral sexing is only as reliable as the person doing it... and even then, it's not precise. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find a buyer (or a female) for him.

louise f

Arachnoangel
If i want to be 100 % sure of the sex, and i will. I always wait till they molt, it is a lot easier way and precise as it can be.

Hey it is not bad at all to have a MM. You have 3 different options with him.
You could loan him out and do a 50/50, sell him or trade him. Or get him a girlie :) Hmm that was actually 4 options. :astonished::D

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If i want to be 100 % sure of the sex, and i will. I always wait till they molt, it is a lot easier way and precise as it can be.

Hey it is not bad at all to have a MM. You have 3 different options with him.
You could loan him out and do a 50/50, sell him or trade him. Or get him a girlie :) Hmm that was actually 4 options. :astonished::D
I'd love to pair him, but I've only found a single sexually mature female, and she's going for the ridiculous price of $250. My only hope is a trade or a loan!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I agree, but I still want a guess. I will start to adjust a males feeding schedule from a ventral guess that he is a male. Then, if he turns out to be a she from their moult, I will owe her a few extra meals.
I want to slow down male growth at the earliest possible chance - especially with males who mature inside of three to four years.