Ventilation fan for first Avicularia enclosure?

NHBabe

Arachnopeon
Hi!

New to Ts, I have successfully owned black widows and wolf spiders in the past. I just got my first Pink Toe and I'm not sure how much ventilation is too much (wolf spiders are much lower maintenance). I have a large 19"tall x12"x12" tank. It is front opening with a screen top and a 2" tall strip of just-above-substrate level ventilation holes that extends across the entire front of the tank. I live in New England, so humidity is 20-30% in the winter and much higher in summer. I do have a hygrometer+thermometer in the tank to be sure it isn't getting too wet, it's currently 60-70% humidity and 70 degrees F. I was thinking of getting a small desktop fan and setting it at an oblique angle to the front vent strip so there is a slight breeze at substrate level--is this too extra? I don't mind having to replace water more often, I just don't want to suffocate my little T.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fans aren’t needed, and 70 chronically is too cold

NHBabe

Arachnopeon
Thank you. Do you have suggestions for heat support, outside of just turning up my thermostat? It's going to get warmer shortly, obviously, but I want to correct it ASAP

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
with a screen top
you are going to need to replace this if it is woven screen mesh. As this poses a risk for them to get their tarsal claws stuck in it.
I do have a hygrometer+thermometer in the tank to be sure it isn't getting too wet,
Aviculariinae should not be wet enough that you ever need to monitor it like that, you dont really need either of those. It seems like you have gotten your infor about heat and humidity from the world wide web of outdated and incorrect info. You can keep the substrate dry or mostly dry with a water dish. And misting is not so helpful. you can add water via a syringe or dropper to the web directly instead of misting.
I have a large 19"tall x12"x12" tank.
This is likely going to be too big for your T given its genus.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you. Do you have suggestions for heat support, outside of just turning up my thermostat? It's going to get warmer shortly, obviously, but I want to correct it ASAP
space heater

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Mixed feelings on these across the boards:

Tentacle Toast

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter +
Well ventilated enclosures don't need a fan, but I personally keep a fan on in my animal room (not blowing on anything directly) to facilitate circulation. Just make sure to keep the water dishes full & clean, especially this time of year, if you have the heat on.
My house never gets above 68°F (it's 65° as I type this), & I keep all of my spiders at room temperature, with no supplemental heat, & every species I've kept has thrived. I think growth is somewhat retarded, but I've seen nothing to indicate any hindrance to their health whatsoever...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well ventilated enclosures don't need a fan, but I personally keep a fan on in my animal room (not blowing on anything directly) to facilitate circulation. Just make sure to keep the water dishes full & clean, especially this time of year, if you have the heat on.

My house never gets above 68°F (it's 65° as I type this), & I keep all of my spiders at room temperature, with no supplemental heat, & every species I've kept has thrived. I think growth is somewhat retarded, but I've seen nothing to indicate any hindrance to their health whatsoever...
So basically your AF P regalis is 2”, good job :troll:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Meanwhile, CFM air exchange, fluid friction and principals of natural convection get studiously ignored in the average containment. Replaced by guesswork and good enoughs.

paumotu

Arachnobaron
Seems like overkill. Some simple cross ventilation will suffice