Venom

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, I was wondering if there is a specie of scorpian that like to sting, but isn't that dangerous? Well, i'm just a little bored of worry if I get stung or bit by a tarantula i'll be allergic. Especially because I want to keep things with stronger venom. So, i'd like to get invemomated by some kind of scorpian just to make sure, i'm a big person so I doubt anything systematic things will happen. I guess I'll get a bit of backlash from posting this, well i'm sure someone will say this isn't smart. But i'm consulting people with more experience than me to help pic a scorpian. If i'm not allergic to one type of venom, does that mean I won't be allergic to the other? When I had an emperor I couldn't get that to even get defensive, so I guess i'll rule those out.
Thanks,
Steve

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You should check out the Hadrurus species. They are pretty stingy, but their sting is not dangerous ( unless of course, you DO turn out to be allergic to it). Why do you think you may be allergic?To my knowledge allergies to T venom, unlike bees, aren't all that common.

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Unfortunatley, it gets more complicated than that!

You could get stung by a species and suffer no noticeable side effects. Unknown to you however, your body could have become hypersensitised to the venom so the next time you get stung you would suffer an extreme allergic reaction.
From my understanding on this subject, it wouldn't happen if you got stung by a seperate species because of the differeces of venom structure.

The sensible thing is to just be careful and don't get stung. I have curently got seven scorpions and have never even come close to being stung.

Respect them and they will respect you.

Poecilotheria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a few scorpians and never came close to being stung either. So, I guess there isn't a point in testing the venom if there isn't that big a chance of getting stung in the first place. I read somewhere that there are 3 different types of scorpian venom. I didnt know there could be 3 different places or body systems that the venom could affect. Does anybody know about the venom, how it works, ect?
Steve

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some studies have demonstrated that individual scorpions have two different types of vemon at their disposal, the first is a saline/seritonin based pain venom, the other is a more dangerous toxin. The exact makup of the toxin differs from scorpion to scorpion. Some specifically target other inverts, while others work as neurotoxins on mammals.

From what I understand, allergists can test you for sensitivity to US scorpions, specifically US bark scorps. That might give you an indication of your propencity toward allergy. An allergic reaction would most likely be a result of the saline envenomation, as the neurotoxins would not have anything to do with histimine (spelling?). If that is the case, then getting an allergy test for any scorp in the US would give you a good idea as to whether or not you have even a minimal allergy to scorp venom. It wouldn't be anywhere near perfect, but it might give you peace of mind.

Chris

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It is actualy recommended that you don't get a sensitivity test, as the test itself can sensitize you to the venom. Also, it is the polypeptide venoms that would tend to set off your immune system, as they are recognized as foreign "proteins." The same is true of the very simple "get stung" proposal. Chances are you'd be alright, but it is possible you'd be sensitized for next time.

Cheers,
Dave

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are you sure about that Dave? I know one allergist in the area, and he claims that he's never seen a sensitivity develop to anything as a result of getting tested--though he's never tested for scorpion stings!

Also, for my own knowledge, which are the polypeptide venoms? The saline based ones (pain) or the more potent 2nd toxins? The reason I ask is because I was under the impression that seritonin was in the saline sting, and seritonin sets off everyone's allergies, though to a different extent. Most people just get pain and swelling, but some can have a more serious effect. I thought that your chances of being allergic to the second venom would be much lower. Are you saying that I have it reversed?

Chris

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
It is definitely the second type that you would devlop a sensitivity to, the same as with bee venom etc. Basically, you develop antibodies to the particular protein and this later can set off an anaphalactic reaction.

The polypeptide ones are the second set -- the real venom, if you will. They are the actual toxins that interact with ion gateways to create the various neurological effects (blocking channels closed or open to polarize/depolarize the cell).

Cheers,
Dave

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd just like to comment that if a severe allergic reaction is the concern here, it seems to me that it wouldn't really matter wether the sting was from a "hot" scorpion or not. As has already been mentioned, the likleyhood of having an allergic reaction is very slim, BUT the risk is not lessened because the scorp has mild venom.

In other words, if you are allergic, the "test" sting could be just as bad as any other. If I'm allergic to peanuts, peanut butter could kill me...regardless of weather it's "plain" or "crunchy" ;)

Wade