Venom, Drool, Barf?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I've noticed this TWICE with two different Ts (different species and ages too)... when hanging on the side of their tank, there has been an "eyedropper" drop of clear liquid kinda stuck between the glass and their fangs. Anybody else seen this? What in the heck is it?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey there!

i've noticed it with my irminia a bit, and lesser with some of my avics... not really on any of the others, though..

i've chalked it up to "nothing to worry about", but i don't really know to be sure.

they've been alive for years and don't seem to have any problems...

i'd be interested in knowing exactly what it is (you'd need to analyse the liquid to be SURE, but i don't have all that crap in my basement. Hell, i don't even have a basement :) )

what Ts do you notice it on, terri? (Not that it really matters, i'm just wondering ;) )

peace
dave

TheSpiderHouse

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi MizM.. maybe you have some window lickers. ;) I don't think I've ever noticed it.. but I'll have to start watching for it. :?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Window lickers? They have TONGUES?!!!

So, like, should I taste it?:? :D :rolleyes:

I noticed it on my unidentified aphonopelma species this morning. I'm not really worried, just curious!

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
Window lickers? They have TONGUES?!!!

So, like, should I taste it?:? :D :rolleyes:

I noticed it on my unidentified aphonopelma species this morning. I'm not really worried, just curious!
Yes, you should always taste anything that might be venom just to make sure.

Bill

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah.. uh, you taste it and i'll just take your word on it

:)
pce
dave

MORBIUS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I noticed the same thing on one of my avics yesterday. It had ate about an hour before so I just thought it was cricket juice. Could what you saw be that?. Just a thought.

MORBIUS

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have noticed this in my E. campestratus on several occasions. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with eating. The only time I've noticed it is when she is on the side of her tank, but it could be that it just gets soaked into the substrate when she's on that. She is very healthy, and it doesn't seem harmful in the least. My guess is that it is some excretion to maintain correct internal conditions, like maybe salt. That's my take on the situation.

-Olan

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It sounds like the T is sucing up a droplet of condensation if it's a clear liquid. Digestive juices normally look quite milky to me. Here's an example of my G.rosea's juices flowing, back in the good old days when it used to eat.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When I've seen it, the drop is definitely coming out of the T's mouth. It starts as a little drop right on the mouth and then is touched to the glass. It is definitely not milky, so I would guess it is not digestive juices also.

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My G. Rosea has done this aswell. Scared me at first thought it was blood on the glass. But then I thought it was normal and she/he has been fine ever since.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
:D Glad I don't really pay attention to you guys... you WANT me to TASTE it!!!:D

Not condensation... have only seen it on dryer tanks. Not milky at all, clear as water. Kind of interesting.

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would taste it if i were you, it might be tastey! :} Haha. It could be that the T just took a nice drink and then saw you coming and said "oooo let me make her think...'What's that coming out of the T's mouth?' ... Then it will spit its water onto the glass! :) Hey it could happen! :)
- In other words, Maybe it's just waster.... TASTE IT! :)

-Mike