Venezuelan sun tiger

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello,
I have a friend who purchased a venezuelan tiger a few year back from his pet shop.
the spider was small around the size of a half dollar coin. well a few years later and a few molts, she laid and egg sack, I was called to be asked if it is normal for it to lay unfertile egg sacks, I told them that some inverts would do that, but not sure on Ts.
Well they called me again to let me know that the egg sack hatched out tons of slings, How can this be possible???

Is this particular T parthenogenic????

Any info will be greatly apreciated

thanks
ftorres

david goldsboro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
it does happen so far i have only had 2 females do this l straitus (my bad spelling) also a c andersoni both produced phantom sac's in the same month both young females

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's crazy. I always thought that a gravid T wouldn't molt until laying. I guess this means any WC fem could potentially surprise you w/ babies no matter how long you've had her. (Crossin' my fingers for the cobalt)

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's crazy. I always thought that a gravid T wouldn't molt until laying. I guess this means any WC fem could potentially surprise you w/ babies no matter how long you've had her. (Crossin' my fingers for the cobalt)

None of this makes any sense to me at all. How is this possible?? Besides, the owner of this particular T in question has had her for YEARS... :? :confused: :? :confused:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
if you search on the boards you can find a case where a Grammostola aureostriata went ~3years between mating and producing a viable eggsac. it's all about the deferred reproduction :D

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if you search on the boards you can find a case where a Grammostola aureostriata went ~3years between mating and producing a viable eggsac. it's all about the deferred reproduction :D
Surely she would have molted during that time?? i'll have to look for that thread... :?

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Surely she would have molted during that time?? i'll have to look for that thread... :?
An adult G. aureostriata not molting in 3 years? sure why not?
From my exp with grammostolas they do nothing in a hurry except eat.. maybe..

I had a G. rosea who's molt frequency was 3 times in 8 years.
So I'd say not unlikely.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
No suprise from either of those stories. A G. aerio could easily take three years to molt, and P. irminia, among many other species, sometimes produce phantom sacs.

-Sean

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Is nobody reading the original thread?

1. When purchased, the T was the size of a half dollar (certainly too small to mate).
2. It molted several times over a few years in his care.
3. The sac produced live slings.

ftorres

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello ALl,
Amanda,thank you very much.

SO does any one knows if this specie is capable of parthenogesis ?????
or any other?????
regards
Ftorres

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No suprise from either of those stories. A G. aerio could easily take three years to molt, and P. irminia, among many other species, sometimes produce phantom sacs.

-Sean
What exactly is a phantom sac? :? Is it a viable egg sac that was produced without actually mating the female T?? Sorry to sound so stupid but i have never heard of this term or situation... :confused:

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
All eggs inside are duds. Infertile like the chicken eggs we buy at the grocery store.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All eggs inside are duds. Infertile like the chicken eggs we buy at the grocery store.
Thanks! So why do people keep talking about "Phantom Sacs"?? This mystery sac actually produced slings. Weird...

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Is nobody reading the original thread?

1. When purchased, the T was the size of a half dollar (certainly too small to mate).
2. It molted several times over a few years in his care.
3. The sac produced live slings.
That's why, lol. They're just not reading the original post very thoroughly. :embarrassed: ;)

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pathenogenesis

Turkeys are capable of parthenogenesis, so why not T's? (I have no idea if T's are capable, but it seems likely in this instance). Hmmm reminds me of this story I heard that started about 2008 years ago . . .

julesee

Arachnopeon
well it can lay sacs but i have never heard of them hatching. Very interesting..I just bought two babies yesterday..maybe ill get lucky like that too!

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well.. some mammals and reptiles are capable of it, dont see why not an invert.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to keep stick bugs and they were parthenogenetic too. So yes, I think it's very possible that this was parthenogenetic reproduction.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
In that case, they would all be female clones of the mother, correct? Has he kept any of them to a sexable age?

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
That's why, lol. They're just not reading the original post very thoroughly. :embarrassed: ;)
Yes.. that is the case..

my apologies.. though I was correcting the assumption about molt frequency

AS FOR THE ORIGINAL post

Parthenogenesis is observed in some herps and scorps so why not T's??

Hard to "prove" that's what happened though..

did someone replace the T... like happens with gerbils when someone is supposed to "watch" them while you're on holiday?

worth looking into...