Venezuela Sun Tiger Sling found dead

Aphonopelma Chalcodes

Arachnopeon
Today was a sad day, found my newly bought Psalmopoeus irminia sling dead

Until then i fed it a prekilled meal worm twice a week (monday and fridays) and kept the substrate moist but not swampy

i attached photos of both the dead sling and the enclosure i kept it in

if i did anything wrong and this is my fault then please tell me and any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Too big . Not enough ventilation and it possible could not find it’s food .? A small vial is probably big enough. Not much webbing or digging shows it never settled down . Half the dirt should had been dry .

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
How long did you have it? It looks very small, how big was it...still a little delicate at that stage.

Ventilation holes just above the substrate, especially paired with moist substrate, otherwise it can suffocate the T. From my very limited reading the Ts almost always have a normal looking appearance...not thin, dessicated, or curled.

The curling is a signature of dehydration, or fluid loss, usually.

It looks like some mites are already eating it, when was the last time you saw it alive?

I'm sorry for your loss. Don't let this discourage from keeping.

Tbone192

Arachnoknight
Same thing happened to me a while ago with a 1.5" H mac sling 😢 molted and died due to lack of ventilation. Since then I have modified 6 of my older enclosures and have had no issues with molting slings. My H mac was never in the death curl though. My best guesses are either ventilation or humidity/water availability. P irminia are not the easiest slings to keep either, there are many factors so don't blame yourself but definitely use it as an opportunity to assess and study, it pays to be well read in this hobby. These things do happens and they suck each time...I am sorry for your loss. Best of luck with your eight-legged pals.

Last edited:

Aphonopelma Chalcodes

Arachnopeon
she was about 3/4 inch, she looked lively when i watered her enclosure this tuesday night so im guessing she passed early morning today or late last night

ill update the enclosure with bigger ventilation near the substrate

Charliemum

Arachnocompulsive
Arachnosupporter
The size of the viv is fine my Psalmopoeus go straight into 30oz deli because they grow so quickly I find it easier then rehousing every 2 months. You did need more ventilation though and a bigger bit of bark and some decor . I have 7 species of Psalmopoeus 8 spiders all together and I have kept them all the same all but 1 raised from slings of about 1/2 inch,
20240510_064118.jpg
All 3 of these are psalmo,
Top Ester emeraldus,
Middle Rudy reduncus,
Bottom Treacle pulcher,
All 3 have alot of ventilation cork moss decor for web points, all 3 have webbed up differently but they all thrive in the same set up with the same care .
Watered once a week fed every 4 days (I feed mealworms crush or remove heads first) till over 2 inches I don't soak the sub at all only the moss and a light sprinkle on the web and once they hit 2/2.5 inches they are moved to the once a week diet . All my girls thrive with this care. They seem to enjoy the heat too my big girls sit at 26°c/78°f during the day slings at 24°c/75°f.

I am sorry for the loss of such a beautiful spider, of any spider, but please research Psalmopoeus irminia before you get any more, you wouldn't get a car without learning to drive first , t's work the same you shouldn't get one till you do your research. Use our search bar function just put in the sp you want to know about, or if your a more visual person check out Tom Moran/Tom's big spiders on YouTube either will give you great info on keeping these beautiful baby's. Gl on your future endeavours .

freedomisle

Arachnopeon
I do think some people keep their substrate too wet. I always moist one side of the enclosure for slings and leave the other side dry, then when it's drying out I moist the dry side, this reduces the likelihood of mould. The idea here is to create an environment where the tarantula can choose the humidity.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Bark size didn’t kill it, venting - maybe

no one will know, and not all make it

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Sorry for your loss.
Try not to let it discourage You.
Best wishes and regards for the future.