Variety.....but?

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I remember reading on here about mealworms lacking certain nutrients that spiderlings need, could someone please refresh my memory.........and also, for the newbies.
Here are a few pics I took of some of my smaller ones eating mealworms....just this once for variety, okay?

This first pic is of my B_Vagans from my other thread. S/he lives in a glass jar so the pics always come out poorly.

Attachments

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Aphonopelma_spec.

This "Ft. Worth Brown" hunts like a mug. Nothing lasts more than 10 seconds before this thing pounces on it.

Attachments

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've never heard a thing about mealworms lacking nutrients. Fruitflies have been proven with the true spiders to lack some essential amino acid that eventually leads to them having deformed legs. There is no evidence this same problem exists for Ts but, being a paranoid bunch, it's generally assumed better safe than sorry and they shouldn't be used as the sole food source for more than a few months straight.

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
DERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

You are totally right CM (can I call you CM) I totally got mealworms mixed up with fruitflies. I guess I can use these more than once but they burrow so damn fast.....these are the only two of my pets that were willing to snag them before they disappeared below the substrate.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Re: DERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Originally posted by blackacidevil
can I call you CM
You can call me CM, Chip, or just about anything else that strikes you (I'm sure some people on the board have some more colorful names for me in mind ;)).

One trick that you see a lot of people recommend is putting the mealworms in a cup or dish that they can't crawl out of but the Ts can get into. They quickly learn to check out the "food bowl" for goodies.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I lost a few King worms in the substrate of my rosie's cage. I decided to space out feedings. Last night I heard a commotion in the cage and my pet rock was digging up the substrate and snatching up one of the escapees :)

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can call me CM, Chip, or just about anything else that strikes you (I'm sure some people on the board have some more colorful names for me in mind ).
ROFL. How can we label thee? Let me count the ways.

lol, nah we got a lot of love for Code, the man's definately packed with good info. Not to mention he's good to "debate" with.

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Re: Re: DERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Originally posted by Code Monkey

One trick that you see a lot of people recommend is putting the mealworms in a cup or dish that they can't crawl out of but the Ts can get into. They quickly learn to check out the "food bowl" for goodies.

That is majorly useful advice......if I had a brain I probably would've thought of that........nope......nothin' in my noggin!

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Re: DERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Originally posted by Code Monkey
DARN!!! I should bang my head against the wall for not thinking of that before.