Vanuatu pics

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Finally, here's a picture of my Vanuatu(?). It's about 15 cm at the moment, and eats like a pig :)

Cheers,

Dan.

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It does look very much like my Vanuatu pedes. The only thing I can't tell for sure is the coloration on the tips of the legs. Are they kind of a blueish green at the tips?

Atrax

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Atrax,

that was my one reason for doubting whether is really is a vanuatu, the legs seem to me more of a grey/blue towards the tips. Here's another pic, but the light from my lamp doesn't make it too clear. If it's not a vanuatu, what else do you think it could be? The only info i got when i bought it was that it is a carribean scolopendra.

Cheers,

Dan.

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, the blue-grey sounds about right too. I think the coloring changes a bit over time, between molts. The only other centipede I know of that looks that much like a Vanuatu is the Hawaiian Scolopendra sp. The Hawaiian sp. doesn't seem to get over 6" though so you're guess seems to be the most likely so far.
It's believed so far that these pedes are all subspecies of subspinipes. At least until some biological documentation proves or disproves it. Who knows when the heck that will happen.

Atrax

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It could be a Vanuatu/Solomon Island pede, but the legs do look a bit more reddish-orange than the ones I've seen. Also, many of my Vanuatus have a darker dorsal carapace without that banding. Yours almost looks like a cross between S. s. dehaani and the Vanuatu.

The thing about these is, there's a bunch of color ranges they can attain, even depending on humidity and most likely, temp. I have some that are very dark with light orange fading to DARK blue legs, while some are more reddish or even tan with yellow-orange fading to a sort of translucent beige or 'whitish' leg tip. Most of them have legs that fade to a kind of off-green or olive hue. Either way you look at them, they're quite pretty!

bill

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Bill,
I kind of thought that too but attributed it to the overall orange-ish hue of the pic altogether. As far as the banding, now that you mention it, my Vanuatu's have much more defined bands than the one in Dan's pic. My Vanuatu's also have much darker sides than Dan's. I know that color is the last thing to try and id a pede by though.
Kind of brings me back to the "subspinipes ssp." theory I guess.

Atrax

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the advice. I'm beginning to have doubts about the vanuatu ID too. I've just had a look at the pics on your website bill, and you're right, the colouration is different. Mine has more redish legs and the body seems to be a lighter blue colour. Is it possible to centipede species to cross breed? If they can, that's going to make the identification a lot more difficult. So i think i'll stick with the vanuatu name until i know better :)

Cheers,

Dan.

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It could very well still be Vanuatu, or whatever subspecies we've come to call Vanuatu/Solomon Island. I see the sides are dark bluish like all the other Vanuatu I've seen... So I'd call it that unless you found out something different from a real hardcore pede person.

It's neat, there seems to be a dozen different color forms of this pede!

bill

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
It could very well still be Vanuatu, or whatever subspecies we've come to call Vanuatu/Solomon Island. I see the sides are dark bluish like all the other Vanuatu I've seen... So I'd call it that unless you found out something different from a real hardcore pede person.

It's neat, there seems to be a dozen different color forms of this pede!

bill
I agree. There seem to be many subtle differences from each batch of Vanuatus that come in, no? The sides on both of mine are mostly black. There are some pics of one of mine in this thread...

http://www.arachnopets.com/arachnoboards/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3121

I get mine in one of the very first batches that came in a while back. Unfortunately, I also paid a stupid price for them since i couldn't wait...but oh well, I still love 'em.

Atrax