Vanuatu Centipedes

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The pair I have arrived at just over the 6" mark. The source I got them from suspects they may get a bit larger. Of course he's not really an expert by any means, it's just what he told me. Todd Gearheart said in chat one night that they dont get above 4 1/2". I told him I had two that broke the 6" mark and he requested photos of them to update his the data on his site. I guess all that means is *shrug* "Mmmmm I dunno". :?
I guess we'll see. I'll be sure to update their progress.

Atrax

xenesthis

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Vanutua or Solomon Island centipedes max. size?

Fellow pede keepers:

I have a scientific reference for the Hawaiian Scolopendra sp. The researcher said they don't get much larger than 4.5" Now, this subspecies of
Scolopendra subspinipes seems to have a large South Pacific range as well and the ones from the Solomon islands look identical to the Hawaiian ones. Atrax says he has two around 6", so maybe there are different geographical morphs with size differences of this wide-ranging, Pacific island species.

Todd

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The 2 Hawaiian Scolopendra I have are both under the 5" mark. Aside from size though, they are very similar to the Vanuatu pedes. I will post the other pic of a Vanuatu shortly.

Atrax

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, here's a pic with a $ bill for scale. The $ measures 6" and the pede is just a touch longer. Maybe 1/4". I did compare the pede in size directly next to the $ to make sure too. I just placed it outside the container for the pic so I could get a good view of the pede in the shot.

Atrax

Attachments

Last edited: