Using the Gel-Hydration

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is there anything wrong with using the gel-water stuff for slings? If so, why? I already have a feeling that it's bad, but I just want another opinion, preferably with a reason. :D

Thanks

-LT

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My guess would be that if that jelly got on the T's book lungs, it wouldn't be able to breath.IMO

Ernie

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lost_Tarantula
Is there anything wrong with using the gel-water stuff for slings? If so, why? I already have a feeling that it's bad, but I just want another opinion, preferably with a reason. :D

Thanks

-LT
hmmm, interesting thought! I use it for crickets, mad hisser roaches, millipedes but never thought to use it for lings.
Ed

BenjaminBoa

Arachnosquire
Go look up how a tarantula's sucking stomach works, you'll have your answer right there. Only predigested food and water can fit through, jelly will not fit in their sucking stomach. They might draw water off the surface of the gel (as there always is a very thin layer ontop of it.) or maaaaybe if you're lucky it will mistake the gel for food and regurgitate digestive enzymes on it and then suck it up.

In short though, aside from drinking the slowly released water from the gel (as by nature the gels do release VERY small amounts of water over time) it wont do anything. Spiders can get most of their moisture from prey anyway so I feel that keepers who claim to have had success with this method have their tarantula getting moisture from the outside of the gel and their prey/ humidity/ substrate.

Don't mess around with something that probably wont work, just do the proven methods that we already know work. Gels are made for animals that can chew food or to keep plants moist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
I read something about this yesterday or the day before. In short, it said it won't work for Ts.

BenjaminBoa

Arachnosquire
Why are you dragging up a ten year old thread?
Because this was never resolved on this thread. You guys always bitch about people not using the search option but it doesn't help anyone when the old threads don't have good answers. If there's a simple solution to a thread then resolve it don't leave it dead and open ended...

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This "gel hydration" topic was "resolved" in another thread just a few weeks ago.

Ashbosh

Arachnopeon
I think it's good this has been answered. So a mod can lock it, and then we have another resolution in case anyone finds this thread in future

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD