using paper towel as substrate for slings?

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hi i seen before while looking around on the net that some people after hacthing their slings will use paper towel as a substrate in the vial with them,Anyone else hear of this? does it work pretty good? i would imagine that it hold in moisture? might be easir to clean unless mold starts growing, what do you guys think ? any experience with doing this yourself?, thanks ahead of time--Jeff

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I did that with my C. fasciatum without any problem. They hid under it most of the time. It makes maintenance a snap since it is so easy to change. My only concern would be if there were any chemicals in the paper towels. Although I had success with it before, I just use peat now for all my new slings.

Botar

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The only trouble I have had with paper towel is that is goes mouldy/musty really easily.

As long as you are diligent about changing it every other day you should be ok.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've tried it with a few slings, but prefer the peat/vermiculite mix myself. It does make it really easy to see the little ones though

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Weapon-X
hi i seen before while looking around on the net that some people after hacthing their slings will use paper towel as a substrate in the vial with them,Anyone else hear of this? does it work pretty good? i would imagine that it hold in moisture? might be easir to clean unless mold starts growing, what do you guys think ? any experience with doing this yourself?, thanks ahead of time--Jeff
My experience is that damp paper towel substrate works very well for non-burrowing slings, but must be changed at least every 10 days because it will mold. I use plain white Bounty, for what it's worth.

Joy

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Re: Re: using paper towel as substrate for slings?

I really don't know anything about paper towels as a substrate, as I use sphagnum peat moss. All I really have to add is that Joy has the best Avatar on the web.

Originally posted by Joy
My experience is that damp paper towel substrate works very well for non-burrowing slings, but must be changed at least every 10 days because it will mold. I use plain white Bounty, for what it's worth.

Joy

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My experiences with paper towells is that they molded fairly quickly, within 3-4 days. I have used the shredded coconut substrate for my slings with no problems, I just make sure I pick out all the cricket remains and such, these tend to mold also.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
verm

I noticed in one petstore they used "fine grade" vermiculite(available at garden centres/nurseries) as a substrate for slings(1/8" to juvenile).Doesn't mold,easy for slings to get around on,easy to see the slings,allows for some burrowing and holds moisture very well.All slings(appr. 150) were healthy and active.It's also what I'm using now for my tiny slings and have no complaints....peace...