Use Care Changing The Water Bowl

Pofecks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This guy was not so lucky...

http://www.local6.com/news/7001577/detail.html

A South Florida man nearly died this weekend after being stung by a rare Vietnamese centipede considered to have one of the most toxic stings in the world, according to a Local 6 News report.

Authorities said the man was changing the water bowl of the 7-inch Vietnamese centipede he was keeping as a pet when it quickly stung his hand.

The victim, who was not identified, was in stable condition at Baptist Hospital in South Florida, according to a report.

Since the Vietnamese centipede is so rare, anti-venin is not kept readily available.

Officials said because of its large fangs and toxic venom, the centipede's sting can be 10 times worse than a scorpion.

This is only the second case of a Vietnamese centipede bite in the United States.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Pofecks said:
This guy was not so lucky...

A South Florida man nearly died this weekend after being stung by a rare Vietnamese centipede considered to have one of the most toxic stings in the world, according to a Local 6 News report.

Authorities said the man was changing the water bowl of the 7-inch Vietnamese centipede he was keeping as a pet when it quickly stung his hand.

The victim, who was not identified, was in stable condition at Baptist Hospital in South Florida, according to a report.

Since the Vietnamese centipede is so rare, anti-venin is not kept readily available.

Officials said because of its large fangs and toxic venom, the centipede's sting can be 10 times worse than a scorpion.

This is only the second case of a Vietnamese centipede bite in the United States.

wow, this might merit calling in for some fact checking!

well, i emailed the webstaff at that news site. here is my message :)

"Greetings,

I would like to know where you got some of your informtion regarding the story found here:

The headline for the story is "Centipede Sting Nearly Kills Florida Man"

The reason i ask is that centipede venom is not accepted as deadly by ANY myriapodologist i have ever read about. Myriapodologists are scientists devoted to the study of centipedes, millipedes, and a few other many-legged invertebrates. Scorpions on the other hand, kill thousands yearly. So you can see your claim that centipede bites are "10 times worse" is laughable at best. I am a keeper and breeder of many such animals and thus it behooves me greatly to know intimately the toxicity of every animal i keep. Scolopendra subspinipes, or the Giant Vietnamese centipede to use the generally accepted common name has venom that *can* cause inordinate amounts of pain, but in a normal healthy man there is more risk driving to work in the morning than the bite of a S. subspinipes. There has NEVER been a medically validated and recorded death from centipede envenomation and only a single case of hearsay, reported and often quoted on the internet, regarding a small Filipino girl who was bitten directly on the head by a large centipede.

The invertebrate keeping community has a hard enough time fighting all the prejudice and hatred for our pets. Please do not allow misinformation to further sway the public.

Thanks for your time, and if you would like any further information about centipedes i would be happy to get back to you with citations or expert opinion from leading myriapodologists.

Thanks again,

Andrew Olson"

Last edited:

PA7R1CK

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good job:D

cacoseraph said:
wow, this might merit calling in for some fact checking!

well, i emailed the webstaff at that news site. here is my message :)

"Greetings,

I would like to know where you got some of your informtion regarding the story found here:

The headline for the story is "Centipede Sting Nearly Kills Florida Man"

The reason i ask is that centipede venom is not accepted as deadly by ANY myriapodologist i have ever read about. Myriapodologists are scientists devoted to the study of centipedes, millipedes, and a few other many-legged invertebrates. Scorpions on the other hand, kill thousands yearly. So you can see your claim that centipede bites are "10 times worse" is laughable at best. I am a keeper and breeder of many such animals and thus it behooves me greatly to know intimately the toxicity of every animal i keep. Scolopendra subspinipes, or the Giant Vietnamese centipede to use the generally accepted common name has venom that *can* cause inordinate amounts of pain, but in a normal healthy man there is more risk driving to work in the morning than the bite of a S. subspinipes. There has NEVER been a medically validated and recorded death from centipede envenomation and only a single case of hearsay, reported and often quoted on the internet, regarding a small Filipino girl who was bitten directly on the head by a large centipede.

The invertebrate keeping community has a hard enough time fighting all the prejudice and hatred for our pets. Please do not allow misinformation to further sway the public.

Thanks for your time, and if you would like any further information about centipedes i would be happy to get back to you with citations or expert opinion from leading myriapodologists.

Thanks again,

Andrew Olson"

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pofecks said:
What scorpion? What species, subfamily or tribe? There's thousands of species, of which maybe only a few hundred are toxic.

Androconoctus, Parabuthus, Leirus, C. Exacullida, Babycurus (?), Hottenhotta, Tityus

Those are the genusus I am aware of that have medically signiffigant venom.

(yes...I am aware that it is an incomplete list)

Not too many

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This thread has been a very enjoyable read. Thanks for the article and the delightful letter :D

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Classic. I wonder did it spin him into a cocoon and the offspring burst out through his chest :)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Aviculariinae said:
Classic. I wonder did it spin him into a cocoon and the offspring burst out through his chest :)
can they do that ? :eek:

wow man,... i need to get me some centipedes a.s.a.p. {D

;)

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Steven said:
can they do that ? :eek:

wow man,... i need to get me some centipedes a.s.a.p. {D

;)
you have to be sure to get the ones that the news agencies report on

*that* is the good stuff... exploding cocoons, telepathy, pyrokinesis, teleportation...

centipedes are actually aliens. i think i read that in an article one time

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Man!, talk about "spin". I mean I've heard/read that it's very painful. But, well no wonder the general public is at war with bugs! "Be scared! Run away. Kill, kill, kill the arthropods! Drama. If they knew what they were talking about Caco, you'd get a reply. So I bet you don't get one. That was a good one! Man this is where phobias come from. People let others tell them how it is instead of using a little bit of their own reasoning. Hmmm, I wonder if that guy was really just trying to pick it up? But they are very fast, aren't they? The water bowl changing thing sounds a little fishy, but possible.

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got off of the phone with the news room at that station, the guy posted it is either going to pull it or get it revised, I expalained to him how a "story" like that is just going to sensationalize the situation more and cause more of a panic by giving out false info.

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awesome! did they say anything else? did they apologize? daaaamn theeeem!

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nope all they guy would say to me was he did not know that it was incorrect because he pulled it right off the wire typed it and posted it at face value with doing no checking of material value:wall: :embarrassed:

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
baaaaaaaaaad reporters...

misinforming the public? what a surprise huh?

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
rare? 10x? they make it sound like something out of an indianna jones movie:eek: you know the news, theyll lie and do what ever it takes to get

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What a stupid reporter ... What else, do centipede can poison you by telepaty with their antena ?

Interesting tread, hope they will answer your email cacoseraph

Last edited: