Usambara

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey i am getting 1-2 usambaras tommorow, slings, cant wait!! Holley any advice?

James

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
hey i am getting 1-2 usambaras tommorow, slings, cant wait!! Holley any advice?

James
1-2 Usambaras? That makes it sound like you are going to get them at a pet store instead of through the mail. You actually have a petstore that sells them?

Good Luck with them.

Big dragonfly

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
James,
Good for you dude :)
I have 5 slings and their cool. Fast growers, hungry all the time and,lots of webs. Just watch your hands and face, cause their hairs are some of the worst for itching and getting into your skin. :(
Good luck bro. your getting into a whole new realm of T keeping now..

Ernie

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by MrT
James,
Just watch your hands and face, cause their hairs are some of the worst for itching and getting into your skin. :(
Ernie
Ernie,

Usumbara's are old world tarantulas, they don't have urticating hairs :) Just a nasty temper...

Scott

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

thanks for letting me know scott, i thought the same thing. this is my first old world terrestrial burrower!

James

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I love them! lmao! Mine strangely is Docile most of the time but if you frighten her by waking her up or just making her jump she will have a shit fit! She does a 90 degree angle bend and jumps up and gets you before you even realize it bit you :0.. Great eaters they are! Mine jumped up and grabbed and cricket out from my fingers..lmao! Every time I feed it..it gets fatter and fatter every time :) They are adorable little monsters :0

Attachments

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Raveness
I love them! lmao! Mine strangely is Docile most of the time but if you frighten her by waking her up or just making her jump she will have a shit fit! She does a 90 degree angle bend and jumps up and gets you before you even realize it bit you :0.. Great eaters they are! Mine jumped up and grabbed and cricket out from my fingers..lmao! Every time I feed it..it gets fatter and fatter every time :) They are adorable little monsters :0
:) oh really? grabbed from your fingers? hah you are crazy! hmm they can see the cricket when you put it in front of your Usambara?

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scott,
I must be getting old, I know that. But the last time I worked in my old males cage I got something in my finger that wouldnt come out. But now I think about it, I may have put him into someone elses cage when I got him, and got a hair from another species.

Boy do I look like a moron, :8o

Ernie

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

cheer up ernie, everyone makes mistakes!

James

P.S- the sig line is again leaving the same blank spot!!!!!! the only way to get rid of it is to delete my sig, but i want my sig, HELP!!

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Have you tryed just rewriting it, maybe you kept you finger on enter to long?

Ern

I just tryed it and I think thats the problem.. Go into your profile sig and scroll down to the bottom of it. There should be a lg. blank space, click at the bottom and then backspace back up to the end of your sig... Save changes, and that should do it.:)

Ernie

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
congrats James...I just saw your post.
My slings web extensively, and I have to really really watch it when I open their vials, since the webbing is usually stuck to the lid. They run really really fast too...so if they get away, it's really hard to catch them again!
They are good eaters, and they grow like wildfire.
Just be careful about their speed!
Holley

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on the Usumbaras. You are in for a handful. They can be nasty but they are beautiful and their faces have lots of personality. Especially when they are hissing at you.

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Theraposa
:) oh really? grabbed from your fingers? hah you are crazy! hmm they can see the cricket when you put it in front of your Usambara?
;( It must have felt the vibration . it was in a pissy mood :) It was trying to attack me because I scared and it missed my finger by a good second.Basically it jumped up out of it's paper roll and grabbed the cricket trying to get me . I am not crazy ;P and I never said it can see..putting words in my mouth..eh?

Btw, is it mandatory for some of you to have big egos on this board?

Last edited:

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
P.S- the sig line is again leaving the same blank spot!!!!!! the only way to get rid of it is to delete my sig, but i want my sig, HELP!!
Maybe that is a sign from above that your sig list should be much longer...;) :D

Anyways, this was about usumbara's. Mine is not as webby as most pterrors, it has made a hide behind corkbark and webbed only that, not the enclosure. It's an extremely beautiful spider, and agressive too (you probably saw my pic of the usumbara defence pose (see avatar)). It's good you're getting slings, then you can get used to their temper before it has a chance to hurt you... Good Luck!

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
just a reminder, for those of you who put a T into a cage that previously held a T with urticating hairs, such as putting a usambar into a uncleaned cage prev. holding a B. smithi, this is a bad idea!! The urticating hairs will probably not be good for your non-urticating hair species. The T's use these hairs to line their burrow to ward off potential attackers. This also includes other spiders( non tarantula). So these hairs obviously could do harm to a different species; even if said species also possessed urticating hairs, they are different from species to species. So do your pet a favor and always clean a cage before putting a new species into it; and the tongs and utensils between cage usage as well to be totally safe.:?

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
congrats james, i just got 6 sling usambaras myself. like everyone else said, they are webby lil devils.

My slings web extensively, and I have to really really watch it when I open their vials, since the webbing is usually stuck to the lid. They run really really fast too...so if they get away, it's really hard to catch them again!
i can relate. in the 2 weeks ive had them, i havent gone a night without at least one taking off up my arm! the day i unpacked them, they were snug inside a vile filled to the top with moist sphagnum, and every single sling made a run up my arm before i got it into its home vile. dont let this scare you james, ive found if i remain totally calm they stop running, then i just put the top of the vile over top of them and they climb right in.;P